Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal mag capacity?

Default Legal mag capacity?

I just looked through the regs online and can't find anything on it. My buddy's brother wants to come up and hunt black bear this spring with an AR. He was wondering if there is a limit for legal magazine capacity? Any one able to direct me to the reg? Thanks

five rounds max, and if you have a high cap mag, and only have 5 rounds in it it's still a violation, I know this because my buddy hunts black bears down in the kenai with his ruger scout rifle, he had to order the 5 round mag for it, he also verified with the troopers and thats what he was informed. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    five rounds max, and if you have a high cap mag, and only have 5 rounds in it it's still a violation, I know this because my buddy hunts black bears down in the kenai with his ruger scout rifle, he had to order the 5 round mag for it, he also verified with the troopers and thats what he was informed. Hope that helps.
    When did this change? I have hunted with an AR10, 308, using my 20 rounds mags and was not hassled over them.

Never seen or heard of such a restriction, except with shotguns for waterfowl hunting.

Please, point out the part in the regs where you see this...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ingregulations

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...chapter092.htm

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst.../Chapter05.htm
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

yea they did, but i had my doubts but the trooper told him that, I thought he was full of it too, but I didn't question it, i had a rifle for us to share. I really didn't think it was a big deal, but he said for big game only and quoted some jibberish stuff, I blew it off, my buddy was upset he couldn't use his scout, he just got it too. when we got back he ordered a new mag for it, and had one in 5 round cap.

One should question authority when they are wrong. I want to see the regulation that limits a rifle magazine to 5 rounds for hunting in Alaska. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. That would definately be something that would make the regulation booklet on the methods and means pages, somewhere between prohibiting machine guns and exploding arrows.

Maybe that trooper was new and just moved here from someplace else that had such a rule? Or maybe it was a rule of the specific hunt area (federal lands, etc). But I don't think this is a state hunting regulation.

Certainly a case of "show me the regulation"!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Is this a recent change? Never heard of it other than with waterfowl.

You mean I can't sit on my bear bait with my UTS-15 shotgun? I'm not buying it either.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

HELL, question authority even when they are correct........

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    One should question authority when they are wrong. "!

5 rounds is absolute bullcrap. That would make every ruger 10/22 in the state illegal for small game not to mention all the guys that carry and use AR's for caribou and deer. Tell me which page on the regs that is for non waterfowl game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Page 20 has all the general weapons restrictions and doesn't mention magazine capacity. It addresses machine guns, bows that shoot more than one arrow at a time, but nothing about 5 round magazine capacity.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Heck, wouldn't that make every revolver illegal for hunting? 6 shots...

First I have heard of this also and I hunt on the Kenai Peninsula.
    I do not believe it until I see it in official print.
    I think your buddy got hoodwinked on that one.
    Waterfowl hunting limits you to 3 rounds per federal law.
    But I have never heard of any other similuar law for other species.
    I have also seen people question the troopers on a fishing reg question and the trooper had to rip up the ticket after reading the regs book the fisherman handed them.
    Nobody's perfect and even they are sometimes wrong.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Heck, wouldn't that make every revolver illegal for hunting? 6 shots...

And would make many lever actions illegal also.

People People.....This is ALASKA! Not Some S!@# State.....Sounds like a California Rule....There is many reasons this state is the best.

Now that I think about it I also know someone who had the troopers boss rip up the ticket they wrote for a hunting violation.
    After carefully reading the hunting regs the head trooper in Soldotna ripped up the ticket as the moose did indeed have 3 legal browtines on one side per the legal defenotion of brow tines.
    Even the troopers can make mistakes and sometimes do.
    I am sure they mispoke on this one or were speaking of a specific rule for a specific hunt but not biggame in general.
    Like others have said a five round capacity law would make a lot of firearms illegal including revolvers,many lever actions,AR platforms etc. etc.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    People People.....This is ALASKA! Not Some S!@# State.....Sounds like a California Rule....There is many reasons this state is the best.
    G'dam right!! Glad someone spoke up. That's some lower 48 bs. Magazine restricsions...sheesh. Next we'll be wearing 400 square inches of orange. Lock and load! Filler up to capacity. No mag restrictions here.

A quick search of the Alaska Statutes shows the word "magazine" appears in them 14 times. Only one time does the word refer to a firearm accessory under a weapons possesion criminal statute. The words "magazine" and "capacity" never appear together, but are referenced in one section discussion securities laws.

A quick search of the Alaska Administrative Code shows the word "magazine" appears in them 6 times. Only one time does it have anything to do with a firearm under the rules for state owned shooting ranges. A state owned shooting range can restrict the magazine capacity used at the range, which is among several other things related to safety that a state owned range can set rules for. This is the only place the words magazine and capacity appear together.

Kenai Borough code does not show any laws at all about firearms, but the search system seams funky. However, review of the titles shows no section that may include any type of gun safety regulation.

Kenai city code does not contain the word magazine.

Homer city code does not contain the word magazine.

Maybe there is something hidden in the US Forest Service or AK State park regulations, but I have lost my interest in being a good citizen at this point in the morning.

Maybe the brilliant legislators used the word, "clip".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Just talked to the troopers. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for anything besides waterfowl. That 30rd clip is going to get pretty heavy though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast