Thread: .358 Hawk anyone use this ?

Default .358 Hawk anyone use this ?

I am looking to have a rifle built and am considering the .358 Hawk. Is there anyone out there that has experience with this round in the field on game ? My main uses would be Elk and Moose .

Quote Originally Posted by prariewolf View Post
    I am looking to have a rifle built and am considering the .358 Hawk. Is there anyone out there that has experience with this round in the field on game ? My main uses would be Elk and Moose .
    I've killed a bunch of deer sized game with a .358 Winchester, a bunch of deer, a caribou, a 9+ brown bear and a pretty decent moose with a .35 Whelen and 8.5+ brown bear and a couple moose with a .358 Norma. The .35s work well on game and I love them, though I'd need a compelling reason to go with the Hawk over the Whelen or the Norma........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I am planning on getting either a .35 Whelen or a 9.3x62 next and your post interested me so I googled it. It has some impressive speed but I would like to know the advantage of it over the 358 Norma Mag. I do find it interesting that you can get a drop in barrel for Savage for it though. Looking forward to other posts....

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I am planning on getting either a .35 Whelen or a 9.3x62 next and your post interested me so I googled it. It has some impressive speed but I would like to know the advantage of it over the 358 Norma Mag. I do find it interesting that you can get a drop in barrel for Savage for it though. Looking forward to other posts....
    An extra round or two in the magazine is it's primary attribute, but it lacks the velocity of the Norma by more than it exceeds the Whelen, irrespective of its developer/promoter's claims . Proprietary cartridges are neat ideas, but in practice I'll take either the standard Whelen or the Norma and not look back..........

those hawk cartridges are based off the 9.3x62 case. Good luck trying to get ahold of this "z-hat" dude. I tried, and gave up. You'd be better off, not changing the case dimensions, and stick with the 9.3x62. 64 grains of powder, and 2,460 fps from a 300 grain bullet exiting a 20" barrel, aint no joke (my 9.3 load).

Otherwise, stick with the Whelen. The hawk cartridges give you NO "field" advantage IMO.

I bust down big moose with a .358 winchester, and many others on this forum do the same with the Whelen.

I shoot a standard Whelen and have no qualms pointing it at anything that Alaska has to offer. I've had pretty outstanding results with my Whelen and have zero complaints.
    The Hawk is simply more of the same and falls between the Whelen and the Norma. You get the mag capacity of the Whelen, I've never had to shoot more than one round to punch my tag with mine but that's not saying it's magic, and get more of the speed the Norma offers. Any 06 or 270 can easily be converted to the Hawk without having to change followers, boxes, or open the boltface, though to me every 338winmag is just itching to become a Norma so that route is just as easy.
    I guess if I wanted to learn more the best way would be to call Fred Zeglin, of Z-Hat, and order the book on them. I think it's 10-12$ and he's a great guy to visit with about hunting, shooting, and gunsmithing. Every time if get him on the phone to rent a reamer I end up shooting the sharks for half an hour or more. He can be reached on weekdays at 4-d reamer rentals, I've never called and not gotten him or his wife.

It may not do more than a host of other cartridges but if a guy wanted something a little different to fool with I can certainly think of less useful ways to spend time and money.

I would like to thank all of you Gentlemen for your replies and once again this forum provides the info. that's needed....

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    those hawk cartridges are based off the 9.3x62 case...
    I believe that the smaller cartridges are based on the 280 Remington and the larger cases are on the 30/06, though I've been wrong about such things before.........