Thread: Garmin 498c Chart Detail?

Default Garmin 498c Chart Detail?

I am looking at buying a chartplotter/sounder combo. The 498 comes preloaded with Bluechart G2. I also see reference to a separate Bluechart G2 Vision chip. Do the preloaded charts have the same detail as the separately purchased chips?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the G2 vision chip, but I have the 498C sounder, and the detail is more than I can stand. I have the detail turned down because otherwise, it shows so many spot soundings on the screen, you can't tell anything else. I am 100% happy with this unit.

Default Chips vs Preloaded

I've had both and unless there have been some major changes in the last year they are the same. I have the 498C and the detail is the same as what I had with my previous GPS which used the Blue Chart Chip. They are both very similiar to an actual Nautical paper chart except you can show as much or as little detail as you want.

I have a 498C on the way and as far as I could see the main diff between some of the other units was if they came preloaded with Blue water and if a transducer was in the box and internal or external antena. When I compared the specs they were the same basic units. 298,398,498

Will

Thats what I saw also. I am trying to decide between one of the other units and the 498. If the detail was better on a separately purchased chip, it might be better to get the unprogramed model and buy the chip.

I would hate to spend the extra money on the 498 only to turn around and order a more detailed chip anyway.

Some of the handheld gps "preloaded" base maps are limited. I was wondering if this was the case with these units as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    I've had both and unless there have been some major changes in the last year they are the same. I have the 498C and the detail is the same as what I had with my previous GPS which used the Blue Chart Chip. They are both very similiar to an actual Nautical paper chart except you can show as much or as little detail as you want.
    The G2 Vision Chip is different than the Blue Chart Chip. How I understand it is that the G2 Vision Chip provides "google earth" type detail. The chip also provides more detail of the ocean floor, providing you with a 3-d view of the bottom.

I'm not sure how much detail the G2 Vision Chip has for Alaska. But if anyone has one I would like to hear about it.