Thread: Kodiak North road goat

Default Kodiak North road goat

Hey I have been doing some research and it looks like a lot of the North Kodiak tag (dg479) is on native land. Anyone have info on how to pay the trespass fee? Also, any pointers from people who've hunted this tag are much appreciated. I spent the better part of 10 days down in Three Saints last year killing goats, so I know how nasty the weather can be. I'm just pumped to be able to sleep near town, or opt out of the weather if it gets too bad. Rolan was lucky to pick me up last year From what I've heard, the Devi's Prongs is where the ghosty beast likes to hang out. Can't wait!!!

I had that tag a couple years ago. I drove out Anton Larsen Bay road and glassed the hills. I saw goats every day I was there and ended up shooting one on the left hand side just before you get to the saltwater. There was one on Pyramid mountain that I glassed each day and a week later some out of state dip$..t without a license poached and was busted by the troopers.
    As far as native land....I talked to a gentleman at ADFG that will remain unnamed, and he said "yes" most of it is native land but nobody patrols it and if I were in your shoes...I'd just hunt it. I'm sure someone on this forum will scold me for trespassing. The only people I saw watching me were the troopers from the road everyday. I went and talked to the ADFG about the troopers watching me and they stated that there is a lot of poaching out there and they patrol that area heavily.
    I did run into a sow with cubs that made me crap my pants. There was enough sign for me to say that there is a healthy population of brown bears out there. Be careful and have fun.

Use the following link to determine land ownership. http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...k/indexmap.cfm

The only problem with the goats on Devil's Prongs is they can see you coming from a distance. I'd consider hiking the atv trail up Cope Mountain or going up Kashevaroff to get elevation and then get to the head of the Russian. Be careful up there, my brother dropped one that appeared to be sitting on a ridge...only to drop down a 700 foot cliff...some how he managed to retrieve some of it a week later. It had been sitting in a creek the entire week. Bring climbing gear for an event like this because we had to work really hard to find someone with gear to borrow.

Shariatin mtn on the west side of anyone Larson has good access down by the creek and usually holds good goats. The. Sisters has goats almost all the time but as someone mentioned.....uh they can slide a longggg way off those peaks. There's an old atv trail that goes up pillar creek I think that can get you into the sister pretty quickly. North road natives won't give out trespass permits last I checked, I just zigged and zagged my way thru state land and pulled a 9.5" billy off the sisters. Local guys said that's about as big as they've heard coming off the north road system.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Just got hunt it, lots off access up there. The sisters and sharatin were covered with bow hunters last winter, everyday you could see half dozen frm the road, I know most of em and none of them had "permits" to use the land.