Thread: Devil's Pass // Resurrection

Default Devil's Pass // Resurrection

Anyone ever run Devil's pass? I am staying at the cabin this weekend and am trying to figure out the best way in (mountain sleds (no studs) doubling up and towing freight sleds). Made it to fox cabin from hope this past weekend, it's slow going (had to shovel snow onto trail and chip ice to fix a slanted overflow section), and I'm wondering if we can just take Devil's pass. The motorized boundary line seems to be at devil's pass trail head. I called the Seward rangers and they didn't know if it was legal to sled there or not, or if the parking lot is maintained....

I've heard the trail can be really bad from the cooper landing side so I'm not sure if that is worth the risk.. being as the cabin is smack dab in the middle of resurrection what is the input from those experienced in the area?

Thanks

Divo.

Call: JEFF BYDEN @ 440-5174 (He is LEO out of Moose Pass)

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Call: JEFF BYDEN @ 440-5174 (He is LEO out of Moose Pass)
    Not trying to be a pinhead but his last name is BRYDEN (just so there's no confusion)
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Divo,,, you may want to check but I think that part of the Chugach Forest is close do to lack of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    Divo,,, you may want to check but I think that part of the Chugach Forest is close do to lack of snow.
    All of CNF's areas opened last week. I heard back from the rangers, the first three miles of the Devil's pass trail is closed for motorized use, and cooper landing side sounds like they are suffering from a lack of snow. What is a LEO? I am not familiar with that term.

Quote Originally Posted by DiVo View Post
    All of CNF's areas opened last week. I heard back from the rangers, the first three miles of the Devil's pass trail is closed for motorized use, and cooper landing side sounds like they are suffering from a lack of snow. What is a LEO? I am not familiar with that term.
    LEO = Law Enforcement Officer (usually at least)

Jeff Bryden.......is Law Enforcement (Federal) Works for Chugach National Forest Service, and an all-round good men.

Jeff Bryden.......is Law Enforcement (Federal) Works for Chugach National Forest Service, and an all-round good men.
    Is he the one that gave a ticket to a 10 year old (I think) for driving a snowmobile with out a AK driver license? If so he a not a nice guy.

We all pay him to enforce the law............we do not pay him to enforce only what laws he chooses. Frankly that education will in the long run aid the child.........However I have NO idea if he did as you state.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Is he the one that gave a ticket to a 10 year old (I think) for driving a snowmobile with out a AK driver license? If so he a not a nice guy.

Why would you give a ticket to a 10 yr old for driving a snowmachine in the first place. Sorry not trying to hi-jack the thread.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Frankly that education will in the long run aid the child.........However I have NO idea if he did as you state.
    The kid was not the only person that got an education, we all did .........some LEO are ass holes.

At the time there was a state law that said you had it have a AK driver license to drive a snowmobile regardless of your age.

I don't remember the details ...it went something like this. The LEO got mad at the father for some reason but could not give him a ticket. So to get back at the father he gave his son a ticket for not having a driver license.

They went to court and the kid won.
    The state remove the law saying you had to have a driver license to drive a snowmobile.

Back on topic, anyone run the entire length on a sled? Evidently it is a bit steep past Swan lake getting into the top of resurrection from the Cooper Landing side. I am wondering if this is a bad route if you are pulling a tow behind sled. Looks like we will be receiving fresh snow so the trail may be in good condition (as long as it doesn't rain / freeze!)

Quote Originally Posted by DiVo View Post
    Back on topic, anyone run the entire length on a sled? Evidently it is a bit steep past Swan lake getting into the top of resurrection from the Cooper Landing side. I am wondering if this is a bad route if you are pulling a tow behind sled. Looks like we will be receiving fresh snow so the trail may be in good condition (as long as it doesn't rain / freeze!)
    Divo.... I ran in from CL side to east fork cabin the last few days of Dec. pulling a medium otter cargo sled. I stayed at Devils cabin for two nites and spent one nite on the trail. The trail from the hiway to Swan is pretty easy with just a short stretch of minor sidehilling. From Swan to Devils there are some pretty hairy spots. I went off trail in one spot where my best bet was to just cut loose of my cargo sled and downhilled my snogo and did a big circle below and came back around to hook on to the cargo sled and take it down my new trail. This was only about half mile from the Devils cabin. I saw several other spots where others had gone off but they didn't have a cargo sled with them by the looks of the tracks. I was alone and was glad I did as well as I did. There are several spots if you go off trail you are in deep do doo. At the time I was on trail there was ample snow and not terribly 'slippery'. If the trail is actually 'icy' I would be hesitant to try it. There were a few spots where my snogo stayed on trail but my cargo sled was sliding off trail behind me. Luckily it was lightly loaded and didn't pull me off. I did NOT have skags on my cargo sled but I talked to another guy that swore by them. I could see their value.
    Between Devils cabin and East Fork cabin there is some tricky sidehilling too. Some spots if a guy did go off, you're not getting out w/o a winch IF you get out at all.
    Not trying to say don't go. But maybe you mite want to stop at Swan, drop your cargo sled and check out the trail without it first. From Swan to Devils can be done in about an hour. Keep in mind even with new snow the trails can be somewhat difficult due to the lousy placement of the trail and it's narrowness.
    Let me know how u do. I hope to head out there again before the season is out.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!