Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowa Boots?

Default Lowa Boots?

I'm looking at getting a new pair of boots this season. I love my Koflach Degre's but have a problem with them squeaking. I drew a Kodiak bear tag this year, and really don't want to get my hunt ruined do to squeaky boots. I'm looking at getting a pair of Lowa GTX Sheep Hunters but can't find them anywhere. I believe Lowa may have discontinued them because now all I'm finding is the Lowa GTX Extreme. Is this the same boot with just a new name? They look the same so that's why I'm assuming they are.

Do Lowa boots tend to run narrow? I understand the easiest way to figure all of this out would be to try a pair on, however they aren't available around here in Maryland...that I can find anyway. So I'm going to have to order them online. All I'm finding is Medium width and extra wide. So with Lowa does medium mean regular? I've never seen the medium width before.

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yes they are NARROW.. the 10.5 extra wides i bought are still to tight with comparable boots. i have to pull the insoles to wear them.. this is one boot to try on before you buy..

i ended up with the http://www.lathropandsons.com/hanwag...gtx-boots.html with their complet gold package. they are 100% comparable.. and they fit them to you .. working on my 3 year in them.. and so far the only pair of boots that has lasted my club feet that long..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince, I found a place that will let me exchange them if they don't fit, since trying before I buy isn't an option here. Just got to send them back if they don't work. And they give me a 14 day trial period. My foot generally runs in the regular size, so with what you are saying I'll try the extra wides first.

I still need to give you a call about that BOG proposal too, this thread just reminded me of that. I'll try to get in touch with you this week sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    yes they are NARROW.. the 10.5 extra wides i bought are still to tight with comparable boots. i have to pull the insoles to wear them.. this is one boot to try on before you buy..

i ended up with the http://www.lathropandsons.com/hanwag...gtx-boots.html with their complet gold package. they are 100% comparable.. and they fit them to you .. working on my 3 year in them.. and so far the only pair of boots that has lasted my club feet that long..
    Big bucks Vince..... Us common folks can't afford that stuff... But thanks for allowing us a peek into elite lifestyle

Hey Duck,

Don't let what happened to me happen to you....went to Ft Meade for a 1 year tour and it took me 2 wives and 33 years to get out of there....be careful.....be very careful!!! In the mean time, enjoy oysters, crabs, the duck hunting on the bay and goose on the Eastern Shore!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Big bucks Vince..... Us common folks can't afford that stuff... But thanks for allowing us a peek into elite lifestyle
    lol John.. my feet have always been expensive.. ever since the one got crushed... when it comes to boots.. i dont cheap out.. or ride Polaris anything...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Thanks Vince, I found a place that will let me exchange them if they don't fit, since trying before I buy isn't an option here. Just got to send them back if they don't work. And they give me a 14 day trial period. My foot generally runs in the regular size, so with what you are saying I'll try the extra wides first.

I still need to give you a call about that BOG proposal too, this thread just reminded me of that. I'll try to get in touch with you this week sometime.
    you got it

meet on face book here

I'm looking at getting a new pair of boots this season. I love my Koflach Degre's but have a problem with them squeaking. I drew a Kodiak bear tag this year, and really don't want to get my hunt ruined do to squeaky boots. I'm looking at getting a pair of Lowa GTX Sheep Hunters but can't find them anywhere. I believe Lowa may have discontinued them because now all I'm finding is the Lowa GTX Extreme. Is this the same boot with just a new name? They look the same so that's why I'm assuming they are.

Do Lowa boots tend to run narrow? I understand the easiest way to figure all of this out would be to try a pair on, however they aren't available around here in Maryland...that I can find anyway. So I'm going to have to order them online. All I'm finding is Medium width and extra wide. So with Lowa does medium mean regular? I've never seen the medium width before.

Thanks
    I have run Lowa's for a couple of years and love them warm, comfortable, and as waterproof as a leather boot can be. I originally ordered Sheep Hunters and when they showed up they said Hunter GTX Extremes on the box they looked the same. I went a head and called the retailer and they indicated that they are the same boot since they look the same I rolled with it and have been very happy. My foot is medium width and I find the fit perfect and I use superfeet green insoles. I also run Koflach Degre's and I wear a size 11 in both.

I wouldn't give up on your Koflach's for your Kodiak bear as it is generally a wet environment and when you throw on the glacier socks it is a great combo especially if you are use to them. Have you tried running a piece of good duct tape up the back of the liners I know that has worked for some... Best of luck and let me know if you need help from the Kodiak end. Congrats on the draw you are going yo have a great hunt! Greg

Personally, I prefer the lower cuff of the GTX versus the GTX extreme. Same boot as far as I'm aware, but with an 8" cuff instead. Lighter weight and better dexterity - I don't feel I lose anything in the way of ankle support. They carry this version at Boot County on Old Seward.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Personally, I prefer the lower cuff of the GTX versus the GTX extreme. Same boot as far as I'm aware, but with an 8" cuff instead. Lighter weight and better dexterity - I don't feel I lose anything in the way of ankle support. They carry this version at Boot County on Old Seward.
    Shoebuy.com has 20 % off all their boots including the GTX @ reg price of 369.95 free shipping and free returns as Duckslayer is in Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Hey Duck,

Don't let what happened to me happen to you....went to Ft Meade for a 1 year tour and it took me 2 wives and 33 years to get out of there....be careful.....be very careful!!! In the mean time, enjoy oysters, crabs, the duck hunting on the bay and goose on the Eastern Shore!!
    I'm trying not to let that happen. This place is the black hole of military careers, you come here and they forget about you. I'm hoping I can beg and plead my way back to AK in a year or two. I've only got 6 years left to go until retirement. And with the government cutting the Air Force by 25,000 Airmen I may be heading back sooner than that with no pention. Either way, I'll be back in 1 to 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    I have run Lowa's for a couple of years and love them warm, comfortable, and as waterproof as a leather boot can be. I originally ordered Sheep Hunters and when they showed up they said Hunter GTX Extremes on the box they looked the same. I went a head and called the retailer and they indicated that they are the same boot since they look the same I rolled with it and have been very happy. My foot is medium width and I find the fit perfect and I use superfeet green insoles. I also run Koflach Degre's and I wear a size 11 in both.

I wouldn't give up on your Koflach's for your Kodiak bear as it is generally a wet environment and when you throw on the glacier socks it is a great combo especially if you are use to them. Have you tried running a piece of good duct tape up the back of the liners I know that has worked for some... Best of luck and let me know if you need help from the Kodiak end. Congrats on the draw you are going yo have a great hunt! Greg
    Thanks Greg, I'll try the duct tape on the back of the liners. I bought a pair of Lowas last night on eBay for $335. Which I thought was a pretty fair price. If I do end up leaving the Koflachs at home and taking the Lowas, I was thinking of gettting a pair of the slip over boots at barneys and just keep them in my pack in case I run into a swamp or bog. The area we hunted two years ago was pretty dry, hopefully the spot I'm looking at hunting in Kiliuda Bay is just as easy to walk over. I just hope there is a salmon run going on this time around!

I'll definitely check out those superfeet insoles too, thanks for the tip.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Brian, I looked at those too, but I usually wear a taller boot when I wear leathers. They are just comfortable to me, that's why I decided to go with the extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    lol John.. my feet have always been expensive.. ever since the one got crushed... when it comes to boots.. i dont cheap out.. or ride Polaris anything...
    Whew thankfully I don't own Polaris anything anymore...

If anybody else is interested in the Lowa Hunters and have either size 8, 8.5, or 14 feet, I just found this.......

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/low...colorFamily=02
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Another thing everybody may find interesting about the new Lowa GTX Extreme, and I'm not sure if they are doing this for all models, is they are no longer doing a medium or wide size. I talked to the lowa dealer that I bought my boots from yesterday, he said as of 2014 they were using one size that was more of a cross between the medium and wide, but leaned a little more towards the wide size. Again I'm not sure if all the Lowa boots are doing this, but this is what he said for the 2014 GTX Extreme.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/low...colorFamily=02

Looks like they updated the sizes to have a wide range of size for sale. With this coupon SFBTD2514you can get them for 188!

Pretty good price.

WOW!!! Thanks a bunch Russp17! I just placed the order, $208 to my door using the code you posted.

Dang, I wish you would have posted that a week ago, Too late now though, I already ordered a pair.

Dang, I wish you would have posted that a week ago, Too late now though, I already ordered a pair.
    haha would have but just saw it this morning! Sorry man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast