Thread: ds165 & dg 478

Default ds165 & dg 478

Both my wife and I drew 165 Tazlina Chugach sheep and 478 kodiak goat as a party. I heard there was a big die off in 165 and its touph to find a legal ram. Any thoughts or suggestions on either area would be greatly appreciated. Congratulations to any of you that drew!

Send me a pm for 478 info, we'll get ya lined out quick!

Jason,

Ha, Beginners luck for you and the wife, First year putting in and you both scored a great sheep tag, and a goat tag to boot.
    Yes they say there was a die off, not sure how big, but I know of two 39 inchers that came out of there so you know there's still good ones in there.
    I'm glad they cut the tag numbers down, I always thought they gave out too many tags for that area. I have been in that area before it went draw. and Since then I have never had the luck to draw it.

with all your antler projects and stuff, at least your making time to do the hunt. call me , I think you got my number if not Casey does.

I haven't heard of anyone having trouble finding a legal ram there unless A. They didn't scout whatsoever. B. They went late in the season after a lot of rams had already been dropped. My suggestion would be definitely scout wherever your going to hunt before and get in real early

Default Chugach sheep

Drew 165 in '12 and both of us punched our tags late Aug / early Sept. there are some good numbers in there. In the area we were in we saw 10-20 rams. Flew in with Meekins. He had good intel on area and was great to work with.
    There are some great genetic in there.

I'll see if I can find a thread I wrote up on the hunt, give ya some good visuals.

My avatar is the ram I pulled out. we had awesome weather, but winter came hard right after we left.

You can walk in but flying will get you the penetration you need.