Thread: Hey K-Bay pros! Help the little guys out for the derby...please!!!

Default Hey K-Bay pros! Help the little guys out for the derby...please!!!

So I have a group of 5 to 6 kayakers signed up to fish the march winter king derby. Last year, three of us gave it a go, and fished the bluffs but didn't hook one. This year we have a water taxi reserved that can take us as far out as Seldovia. Our goal is to enter a fish this year, not necessarily catch the winner.

Given our limited range once we are on the water, we can't go looking for fish like the powerboats. So, what advice would you give to us, or even for smaller powerboats. I know it's a derby and competitive, but any piece of advice would be greatly appreciated. Safety first, but we'd love to get something on the board this year.

Thanks in advance!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    So I have a group of 5 to 6 kayakers signed up to fish the march winter king derby. Last year, three of us gave it a go, and fished the bluffs but didn't hook one. This year we have a water taxi reserved that can take us as far out as Seldovia. Our goal is to enter a fish this year, not necessarily catch the winner.

Given our limited range once we are on the water, we can't go looking for fish like the powerboats. So, what advice would you give to us, or even for smaller powerboats. I know it's a derby and competitive, but any piece of advice would be greatly appreciated. Safety first, but we'd love to get something on the board this year.

Thanks in advance!
    Your gonna want to find the break or back eddy in the tide or you will be sweating you ass off all day!!! Shoot me a message and i mite be able to help ya a bit. The sweet spot as we call it on the Huntress!! Cheers