Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air charter???

Default air charter???

Looking for a reasonable priced air charter to be flown in for a sheep hunt by the Knik Glacier thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nat85501 View Post
    a reasonable priced air charter
    What does that mean? To some people my wallet can be considered to be excessively fat. Others would look at my wallet and laugh due to its thinness.

In the other thread you were provided two resources for great pilots for that area. When serious sheep hunters offer up a name, go with it. Bite the bullet and max out the card(s).

Of course you don't need to fly into that unit. You can ATV up to the Knik glacier and then walk in another 10 to 15 miles.

i will be bitting the bullet for sure but it never hurts to ask around guy i have gotten the same name over and over so 99% chance going with that but asking a question is not wrong at all.
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-24-2014 at 14:28.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Which tag, Metal creek or Friday?

I've done a little homework on that area, there are a few strips but not many people want to fly to some of them. Get a few more posts in so you can pm.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

We got the metal creek tag the guy that I was referred to sounded like he knew all about the area. talked about being dropped in a couple different areas have you hunting this area.

Default air transport

You can fly into Friday but not into Metal creek, your gonna have to come in from Grasshopper, call any of the Air transports as mentioned in the Carpenter Creek thread, or the DS160 thread
    Last edited by kahahawai; 02-24-2014 at 19:04. Reason: add more info.

Why can't you fly into Metal Cr?

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    Why can't you fly into Metal Cr?
    apparently you haven't been in there, no air strips, but.... i did hear of one guy landing on top near the glacier said he won't do it again, messed up his baby bush wheel. the rocks are too big on top. The valley is too deep, like a canyon...

I was given the name of Mike Meekins he seems to be the man. he said that we should be able to land in a few different places that he drops people off in there every year 99% chance i am going to go with him. the unit i got was DS175 i heard that there are some BIG sheep in there if you are will to put in the work and get lucky lol

Ok so I gather right about now you are feeling overwhelmed. I understand as for someone new it can be overwhelming. I would love to see your daughter get a ram so I would love to perhaps meet up and give you some advice. Not sure how much help I can be but I will try. You are in for a lot of hard work but it can be rewarding. You will want to make a list of gear you have, packs guns everything. You do t need high dollar gear but you will need quality. Not sure if your pm works but my email is thesheephunter@yahoo.com. Also I assume you live in south central? Oh and I don't know your area but do know how to hunt..

Mike meekins
    Gary Bishop
    Bill weirderker
    Bear mountain air- Joe Huston
    Lee's Air taxi- Jerry Lee

I am not vouching for any of these people they are just the ones i know of. If i was you i would call all of them and see which one is going to be able to "work" with you the most and price check. I really like meekins and have used him before but he is very very busy guy and I've found the more busy someone is the less they are willing to "work" with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Ok so I gather right about now you are feeling overwhelmed. I understand as for someone new it can be overwhelming. I would love to see your daughter get a ram so I would love to perhaps meet up and give you some advice. Not sure how much help I can be but I will try. You are in for a lot of hard work but it can be rewarding. You will want to make a list of gear you have, packs guns everything. You do t need high dollar gear but you will need quality. Not sure if your pm works but my email is thesheephunter@yahoo.com. Also I assume you live in south central? Oh and I don't know your area but do know how to hunt..
    Some guys just bust balls when people ask for info. And then there are guys like Dave who lay offers like this on this table. OP, take advantage of Dave's expertise. I know I have.

A few years ago I went to the Palmer airport and asked an instructor to take me over this area. Did it as a pre lesson session. Resonable, and a lot of fun in a Supercub. Low and slow so we saw a lot.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

that is very interesting i think i will do that around the first of August it would be a great idea just to get the lay of the land thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by pa 5-0 View Post
    Some guys just bust balls when people ask for info. And then there are guys like Dave who lay offers like this on this table. OP, take advantage of Dave's expertise. I know I have.
    yes in a few weeks when i slow down i am defiantly going to try and set something up for lunch with dave he offered a lot of help i REALLY appreachate his offer and i will most defiantly take him up thanks for the advice

99% chance i am going with with Mike Meekins he sounds like the man for the area EVERYONE has recommend him to me thanks for the advice. I am very excited and nervous for this hunt i am willing to take ANY advice from anyone.

All good info guys, appreciate the legwork nat85501. I called Meekin and was blown away by the price. Not saying it was unreasonable, just saying blown away. Probably a small price to pay for such a once in a lifetime opportunity others here in AK would kill for but there's no way in hell I'm going to find a spotter to go with for that price. My plan...ATV in and hike my ass off! Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Default air charter???

In 2011 I was lucky enough to get drawn for ds185 which is the late season for the Friday Creek area. My original plan was to fly in and I regret not contacting charters early on and getting my finances in order to have been able to do so. I ended up taking quads up the Knik and hiking in once I got to Friday Creek. It was still the hunt of a lifetime for me and I was able to take my very first ram with my pops by my side but would definitely do it differently if I ever get the chance again. At the time I just didn't realize how special these areas are and how highly regarded they are by the old experienced sheep hunters for holding some incredible rams. I didn't go in very deep and ended up taking the first decent sheep I saw but if I could back and do it again you better believe I would book a charter early and buck up the cash to fly back deep where the big boys roam. There's truly something special about the Knik area sheep draws and I covet these permits over any other sheep draw in the state. Plan early and don't be afraid to spend the cash Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by H2OFwlr View Post
    All good info guys, appreciate the legwork nat85501. I called Meekin and was blown away by the price. Not saying it was unreasonable, just saying blown away. Probably a small price to pay for such a once in a lifetime opportunity others here in AK would kill for but there's no way in hell I'm going to find a spotter to go with for that price. My plan...ATV in and hike my ass off! Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
    I may be completely wrong on this but if you were blown away by the price of the flight then you probably have not done much fly-in hunting or looked at fly in sheep hunts around other parts of the state. I have found that Meekins is not only reasonably priced, but totally professional and very good at his job. Nothing worse than going in to a new area and hoping to get back out. Mike does a great job of working with his clients and his Son-in-law Matt is equally as helpful running the whole outfit.

as Scott stated above, it can be done by quad and foot, but you just drew a tag that well you may never draw again. Good luck though, I hope you are able to get it done and enjoy the area.

I can only speak from experience. I have hunted Friday Creek several times in both forks, as well as Grass Hopper Valley and Metal Creek twice and Carbon and Carpenter Creek. I and my sons always flew with Bill Weiderker. I addition I used to fly with Bill's father Loren when he was alive. Loren was the regular pilot for Frank Cook. I know of no one who knows that area better than the Weiderkers who been flying that area for two generations. In addition they used to fly F&G around those same areas to do sheep and goat surveys. Bill knows where the sheep hang and you can trust your life to him ... I did. I have never flown with Meekins or his father before him but he has an out standing reputation and will prob fly with him the next time I hunt that part of the Chugach. You can't go wrong with either one but for Metal Creek I would fly with Bill.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast