Thread: Hunter wanting help with there draw hunt

Default Hunter wanting help with there draw hunt

Most people do not know where DMxxx or CSxxx are. If your too lazy to tell us where it is why should we help you.
    Sounds harsh, maybe........think about it were not going to be looking up every draw number.

Good luck on your hunt.

I was thinking about posting something just like this. Thanks.

If someone is going to ask for help for a specific hunt, include the unit/subunit for the hunt. Maybe explain a little about what means of hunting/transportation you have available to you, such as ATV, boat (ocean/river/prop/jet/paddle), what you might be willing to spend (i.e. can you afford a guide/transporter or are you planning to access and hunt by yourself). Those kinds of things will greatly narrow down the potential options out there that others can help with. Alaska is huge, as is many of the hunting areas. Most have a wide range of possible access methods, from darn near free to costing thousands of dollars (success rates vary accordingly in many situations). Many seasons are long (cover fall and winter), so do you have restrictions as to what portion of the season you will need to hunt for some reason such as school or work schedules?

Many people on here are willing to help at least to some level, but it's pretty hard to give suggestions or ideas when we have little or nothing to start with.

Sometimes the circumstance could be where a buddy may have put him in for it, regardless of him knowing anything about it. Or...He may have asked his friend to put him in but hasn't been here long enough to know the lay of the land, and thought he give the draw permits a try when he became eligible. I knew a few friends would put their friends in and they deployed, and the buddy is stuck here with a draw tag when his buddy who has the knowledge is gone overseas serving his time. Lots of different reasons..... I'm sure the person will figure it out eventually, and maybe will offer up more info.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post

Most people do not know where DMxxx or CSxxx are. If your too lazy to tell us where it is why should we help you.
    Sounds harsh, maybe........think about it were not going to be looking up every draw number.

Good luck on your hunt.
    Every hunt that i have been fortunate enough to draw, i can and do remember the hunt number. DC480, DG334, DM210, etc. If you don't recognize the hunt, maybe it is an area that you are unfamiliar with, and then couldn't offer "boots on the ground" advise anyway. I understand that alot of hunting experience is relevant based more on species than particular draw, but it could be that he was looking for someone who has drawn that particular hunt before...

I agree with Carak. That being said if someone wants info on a cow hunt they will get farther if they say where. There at lots of cow hunts around here in Fairbanks and I don't remember all them but I know info for the area and could give guidance. Now if someone wanted to know about dg472 no one is really in that area except for those who have hunted it before and would recognize the number.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Sometimes the circumstance could be where a buddy may have put him in for it, regardless of him knowing anything about it. Or...He may have asked his friend to put him in but hasn't been here long enough to know the lay of the land, and thought he give the draw permits a try when he became eligible. I knew a few friends would put their friends in and they deployed, and the buddy is stuck here with a draw tag when his buddy who has the knowledge is gone overseas serving his time. Lots of different reasons..... I'm sure the person will figure it out eventually, and maybe will offer up more info.
    I don't think anyone is attacking them for asking questions, I know I am not, just pointing out that they need to provide a little more information about what they are asking for than just the simple "help me" one liner. The more information someone can provide will really help produce the best answers. I know a lot of people put in for hunts they don't know details about, but what they DO know is what equipment they have at their disposal that might be usable.

I know I remember the hunt numbers I have hunted before, but I have also hunted a lot of other areas that I have never applied for permits in, so I wouldn't recognize the hunt number, but I would be able to help if I knew where it was.