Thread: Drew DS 203 Delta Controlled Use Area

Default Drew DS 203 Delta Controlled Use Area

I applied for draw hunt DS203 and got an email from ADFG that says I was selected. Any advice?

I have not hunted this part of the state before. If you are willing to share your experiences I'd appreciate any information I can get.

Thank you!

Start at this link:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...phunting.delta

I would also encourage you to check out the archives here, as lots has been written over the years. I drew 204 and I spent most of the past three days reading. Instead of using the search function here, though, I find that I get better results by going to google and typing site:forums.outdoorsdirectory.com followed by my search terms (such as DS 203 or Delta sheep success, etc.)

Good luck!

Brian,

We've been searching and reading through the weekend as well. Thank you for the search tip via google! Good luck on your research. I'm hoping to get some good info from those that have been there/done that in DS203.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Start at this link:

I would also encourage you to check out the archives here, as lots has been written over the years. I drew 204 and I spent most of the past three days reading. Instead of using the search function here, though, I find that I get better results by going to google and typing site:forums.outdoorsdirectory.com followed by my search terms (such as DS 203 or Delta sheep success, etc.)

Good luck!

I also drew this tag and in the same boat as you. Never hunted this area of Alaska before and have been reading non stop since Friday morning. I plan on walking in and spending the whole season hunting this tag if necessary. Let me know if you want to compare notes and ideas as the season gets closer.

Matt

PM Sent......

Matt, I have info for you that I'd prefer to message to you but it looks like you don't have an inbox...

Thanks KLNhunter, not sure if I have enough posts to get PM's. My email is mattgittlein59@hotmail.com thanks in advance for any and all info you wish to share.

Matt

Matt, Sent you an email. Hopefully it didn't go to your spam folder.

Mike

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I wish i could find more on mine.. Sheesh.. two short threads... DS138... that's in Anchorage right? kind of hoping i can fill it near, International and Old Seward, since that's the only part of Anchorage i am really familiar with.. someone told me the sheep there, come down to the local watering holes in that area, too.. that's why i put in for that tag...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Start at this link:

Good luck!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I wish i could find more on mine.. Sheesh.. two short threads... DS138... that's in Anchorage right? kind of hoping i can fill it near, International and Old Seward, since that's the only part of Anchorage i am really familiar with.. someone told me the sheep there, come down to the local watering holes in that area, too.. that's why i put in for that tag...
    There is no sheep in ds138

Larch, pm returned.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Vince, you're gonna have to turn that tag back in. Southcentral sheep are subsistence animals for southcentral residents.

In all seriousness, if you guys hunting ds203 are going to fly shoot me a pm. Might be able to share a little info.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Your going to have many options on the walk in hunt. Go with the one that gives you the best opportunity for success.

congrats on your tag also northway!

See the link below and hit me with a PM if you have any other questions. Did it and would do the same plan again.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    congrats on your tag also northway!
    Thanks!!!!!

Walk up the side of a mountain or two shoot a sheep and go home. It's a draw tag their guaranteed right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But seriously the biologists in Fairbanks were a huge help, also a good waterproof map comes in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larch
    I tried to PM you but Im not sure if it went through. I hunted DS203 last year, we flew into Charlie Boyd and spent 9 days hunting. Seen sheep every day and had a couple that were 7/8 or so but not near legal. We did glass some real brutes across the glacier in the TMA. Hiking along the glacier is rugged/brutal at best and the further we got up the glacier the deeper the canyons got which dumped out into the glacier. I would be more than willing to share details of my hunt and info I gathered before during and after my hunt. Either PM me or call 2311558.

Last year I got flown in below the high water mark on the Johnson River, just north of the Charles Boyd by 40 mile air. Hiked up Boulder Creek about 12 miles or so. This was a tough route. River was raging too fast to cross, so I had to do a lot of alder crashing. Saw a lot of rams but only one legal sheep. It was hot, glaciers melting, thick with smoke from the fires up north, think the big boys were still deep in the unit up high. I did get the one legal ram I found, which is my hardest most earned sheep. PM me for any more info if you were looking at this area. Good luck.