Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New guy on deck

  1. #1

    Default New guy on deck

    My name is Chris and I've been a captain down in the FL Keys for the Boy Scouts at Florida Sea Base for a few years now. It looks like I'll be trading in the warm, tropical, blue offshore waters for Alaska this summer and couldn't be more excited. I've got tons of questions and have been reading up on this site a bit to familiarize myself with the techniques, tackle, terms, etc. so expect a few inquiries from me here and there. I just wanted to introduce myself and being a member of a few fishing forums I know that all people really want to see are fish pictures so here you go!












    Looking forward to learning a bunch from you guys and showing off some great AK fish too!

  2. #2
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Funny we r in Florida now. Thinkin of driving to north Miami or tampa
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  3. #3
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default

    Welcome and thanks for the pictures and scenes of warmth, helpful this time of the year in the north! Particularly liked those big grouper, wish our AK rockfish got that large! And...I've never seen such silvery white reds, usually they have more color and darker in my experience, but my fish were all in the grass flats of the "nature coast" in FL and S. Carolina coast.

    Don't know if you are planning on taking your own boat out in AK, which is what I do know, but I strongly suggest you poke around a bit on these forums and select a charter service or two and go out with them and learn the ropes firsthand!

    Enjoy the AK Forum and have a great summer

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Funny we r in Florida now. Thinkin of driving to north Miami or tampa
    I do everything I can to avoid the rest of S. Florida! Too much traffic and congestion for me!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Welcome and thanks for the pictures and scenes of warmth, helpful this time of the year in the north! Particularly liked those big grouper, wish our AK rockfish got that large! And...I've never seen such silvery white reds, usually they have more color and darker in my experience, but my fish were all in the grass flats of the "nature coast" in FL and S. Carolina coast.

    Don't know if you are planning on taking your own boat out in AK, which is what I do know, but I strongly suggest you poke around a bit on these forums and select a charter service or two and go out with them and learn the ropes firsthand!

    Enjoy the AK Forum and have a great summer

    Thanks! Yeah the lower keys spottails are generally in sandy areas and on the flats so they're pretty silvery. I grew up fishing in the dirty waters and pluff mud of Charleston, SC so I'm used to the more red/copper fish with blue tips on their tails.They sure are pretty though!

    I'll be working for a lodge so I hope to learn a lot about the area by the veteran captains and studying charts.

  5. #5
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Welcome Rapchizzle! you're going to have a blast here!!! Interestingly enough, we took a group of scouts from Eagle River down to Sea Base back in 2010. Tho their captain was a grumpy ol' cuss, the boys had a pretty good time.

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapchizzle View Post
    I'll be working for a lodge so I hope to learn a lot about the area by the veteran captains and studying charts.
    Who are you going to be working for?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •