Thread: Dm920

Default Dm920

who has drew this tag before and any tips on areas to focus on?

I drew that tag before, took a 60 incher, you gotta get off the road and hike in a mile or two or maybe more, I had a huge one in my sights but could not get closer than 70 yards, he had about 5 cows with him and would not respond to my calls then he bolted into the park, a couple days later I called in a couple other bulls and shot the first one that came within range. The small bulls, you can find by the road but the bigger ones are smart and stay in cover or heavy brush. I did see a couple bears and saw alot of griz tracks. It's definitely a pucker factor hunt, cause i went solo, and couldn't get anyone to go with me, and didn't want to eat a tag. I shot my bull about a little over 1 GPS mile as the crow flies from my truck, but it still took me over two days to get my moose all packed out. surprisingly bears never touched my downed moose.

Areas to concentrate on is either side of the road, stop and glass on occasion, don't overlook open areas high, sometimes they are above treeline, stay away from heavy traffic areas like around coldfoot, I would look at mostly remote islolated areas near the creeks or along the koyukuk river north of coldfoot, you can park by the bridge. Hope this helps, good luck.......wish I had the tag.

i was wondering if i need hip boots or chest waders just in case

Yes , you'll need hip boots. The terrain off the road is very boggy, I used the lacrosse fitted hip boots with the over ankle strap because there were some hilly areas and made it easier.