Thread: WTB used packraft

Default WTB used packraft

I'm looking for a good quality used pack raft, preferably a Denali Llama, and I am sure I'm not the only one! Thought I would put a notice out there before we get any closer to rafting season in case somebody had one they were planning on putting up for sale this spring. Also, any information on places that might carry used rafts would be great. Northern Alaska Packrafts in Fairbanks says they have used gear sales annually but I assume that wont be until the end of summer.

Why not call Mr. larry bartlet? Sure he has a lot of of early china stuff for cheap.

I have a Yukon Yak and a Big Rig I'll be selling this spring. PM me if interested in either.

Oh and as always:

Thanks, I will probably try and hold out for the Llama as I am 6'2" and hope to still be able to fit a bou on the bow! I will certainly keep you in mind though

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivoraCounter View Post
    Thanks, I will probably try and hold out for the Llama as I am 6'2" and hope to still be able to fit a bou on the bow! I will certainly keep you in mind though
    I would seriously consider a PR-49 or the like if that is what you are wanting to do. You can do it with a Llama, but going through Class II even with my gear and half a sheep I found the Llama (I'm 5'9 155 pounds) extremely sluggish with that 90 pound pack on the bow. Would be even worse with your gear and a whole caribou!!!

Having been down this road I am just sharing my experience and hoping to save ya some money in the end.

That is good to know. I have seen the PR-49's and was originally turned off by the extra weight. I suppose an extra 10 pounds on the hike in compared to the Alpackas may be worth it in order to have a comfortable float out. What are the dimensions of your PR-49 rolled up? I see the weight listed on Larry's site, but not the carry dimensions.

rolls up to about 8" X 19". If you leave the valves open and squeeze it tightly you can roll it smaller. What I do when my pack is really full, instead of rolling it and trying to get it inside, I'll make it a flat square or rectangle and strap it flat against the outside of pack. If you do that, use a cam strap or #550 cord and really flatten it first to be self-contained, so that when you take it on and off the pack it stays flat and can easily be strapped back in place on the move.

Larry

Awesome, thanks for the detailed information Larry! I've seen all the videos of the raft in action, and it looks great. Any chance you would be willing to recommend a float hunt that you've done that would be relatively "easy", ideally class I and II stuff, for a beginner like me to do if I were able to get my funds together and purchase one of these rafts? Looking for mostly hike and float combo trips, without a plane drop off. Obviously this is a really broad question, but I thought you might have a few spots that you like to refer your beginners to in order to get their feet wet (pun most definitely intended).

If you are going to be one hunting trip a year, and lots of hikeing and rafting, get a Llama. And get a new style with the extended stern, no comparison between it and the "old style".
    Having said that, if you are mostly looking for a raft for hunting, Larrys rigs would be the way to go.
    Unless you have two, its all about compromise.
    A 'bou and gear in a Llama would be very overloaded. Sheep hunting really is about the practical max. An PR Explorer would be a better choice, but does not paddle in whitewater as well.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.