Thread: landing strips

Default landing strips

First let me say that I am not looking for anyones secret hunting spot. But I am looking for known landing strips in the Talkeetna area. I would like to be within an hour or so from TKA or PAQ for some spring bear hunting. I will be using a cub on bushwheels for flying. PM if you want to keep it a secret! lol
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Google Earth is your friend. If you take a careful look at different altitudes and angles you will spot quite a few airstrips out there. Just make sure they are not private.

Wow good luck with that request...

If I were going to spot animals I would buy a really nice FLIR, they had some at the aviation trade show but I am not sure if they have ones that display living things in red (like in the preditor with schwartzeneger). The fish and game opens some areas up to an open hunt for black bear because they become a nusance and im sure those areas are marked on the game maps.

As far as strips just go buy the applicable Alaska VFR sectionals and it shows the unimproved strips with basic circles, they are all over the place. Not sure which ones are private, you could probably cross reference the plots of land where those strips are and see if its privately owned, I have known people to put up signs or make a scene when they in fact did not have title to the property.

The strips people use for this type of access do not show up on sectionals except in very rare exceptions. They often are not actual strips. They just happen to be landable with the right equipment and pilot.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Wow, tough crowd! lol I knew it would be a long shot for someone to share coordinates with me but I had to ask. I have tried google earth but when you get down low enough to look for a spot the detail becomes so pixilated that its hard to tell anything. I have been to Yellow jacket creek in the past, so I know about that strip, but I was looking for something new to explore. I'm not on floats so that leaves out the lakes and rivers. I was also wanting to stay up higher if I could. I have also looked at the sectional for the area and there are no strips showing either.

Private strips are marked with a bold "R" if I remember my basic flight training and map reading, but then again I don't own a pitts or fly aerobatics so I could be wrong? Instead of a fancy FLIR, maybe I should just fly inverted and look that way?
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

You have a capable machine and if you are comfortable with operating it to it's potential go make your own strips. It is going to take some time and patience. In the process you will find evidence of those that have gone before. Be careful as this type of flying obviously carries higher risk.

Or go to aeromap on merril field and buy GIS photos, I have never been in there but it could be worth a try. FLIR is awesoem by the way.

By the way I have seen 3 wrecked cubs come and go just in the hangar im at, landing on gravel bars and sketchy areas is really dangerous. One woman ran out of "runway" and flew into a lake.

Most spring bear hunters are on wheel skis or if conditions permit, straight skis.

Yep. You would be hard pressed to get into any mountain strip on wheels before all the bears are rubbed up. If you are just looking for a meat black bear that wouldn't be an issue.