Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wolf hunting help?

Default wolf hunting help?

hey everyone just got a new AR that I want to give a try, Im in anchorage and looking for some tips/areas not too far away to help me bag a wolf or two open to thoughts and suggestions, also what FoxPro should I get? Thanks again

Wolf point on the Knik is where I would go and you can walk there.

i'll have to give that try! thank you good sir

Also Wolf Lake in the Mat-Su valley.

Quote Originally Posted by jbreadyrltw View Post
    i'll have to give that try! thank you good sir

so pretty much anywhere with the name wolf in it? lol

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Also Wolf Lake in the Mat-Su valley.
    You're really sending him there?

I can see why your city down there is spelled with an o instead of an e. 😁

And also anyplace without the name Wolf on it. To tell you straight seeing Wolves, Lynx, Wolverines is a direct function of hours, days, weeks, months, years spent hiking/walking alone in the wilderness.

If it is real important to you to get a wolf........get as remote as you can.......poach several moose or caribou, pull the guts out. The wolves will come. The Wolverines will come, the coyotes will come.

If you are only hunting a wolf, your chances of seeing one are very near zero. Wolves are encountered & harvested as a by-product of hunting some other species, which brings it back to: Get your butt out in the wilderness and wander around. Also note that many of the Wolves have skanky hair & bald spots from lice and other parasites. Sorry to pee in your Wheaties.

so pretty much anywhere with the name wolf in it? lol

3 years in and I'm still trying to figure it out too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    3 years in and I'm still trying to figure it out too...

Maybe your not using the right tools, have you tried using a airplane and a snowmobile?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Maybe your not using the right tools, have you tried using a airplane and a snowmobile?
    Snowmobile yes, airplane no, can't find a pilot I trust...

I thought I had a good shot at one last fall, saw his tracks several times but never could get him to come in. Haven't seen a single set if tracks this year, but track snow has been hard to come by...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was not suggesting you shoot the wolves from the airplane. Like some people would do that illegal. Use the plane to find where the moose and caribou are, if the wolves are not there now they will be.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If you are only hunting a wolf, your chances of seeing one are very near zero. Wolves are encountered & harvested as a by-product of hunting some other species
    This bears repeating. Very few hunters can successfully set out to target a wolf and find success. Trapping is a more reliable way of taking wolves, and that too takes a high degree of skill and experience. I've taken a wolf (and should have had at least three on that day), but it was taken on a caribou hunt, not a wolf hunt. The close calls I've had with wolves at other times were a similar story. I do a bit of predator hunting - maybe 3-4 times per winter - and while I have had some luck calling in lynx and coyotes, I have not had a wolf come in (nor do I reasonably expect to).

Spend LOTS of time in the woods from August through March, make sure you're always adequately armed for when lightning strikes, and hope for the best. Oh, and the "not too far away" qualifier in the first post? Get rid of that standard if you want a decent chance at a wolf. Yes, there are wolves in Southcentral, but odds are likely higher in more remote locales.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    This bears repeating. Very few hunters can successfully set out to target a wolf and find success. Trapping is a more reliable way of taking wolves, and that too takes a high degree of skill and experience. I've taken a wolf (and should have had at least three on that day), but it was taken on a caribou hunt, not a wolf hunt. The close calls I've had with wolves at other times were a similar story. I do a bit of predator hunting - maybe 3-4 times per winter - and while I have had some luck calling in lynx and coyotes, I have not had a wolf come in (nor do I reasonably expect to).

Spend LOTS of time in the woods from August through March, make sure you're always adequately armed for when lightning strikes, and hope for the best. Oh, and the "not too far away" qualifier in the first post? Get rid of that standard if you want a decent chance at a wolf. Yes, there are wolves in Southcentral, but odds are likely higher in more remote locales.

Ive lived here since 1993. I'd like to think i spend a fair amount of time outdoors. (hunting, hiking, snowmachining, etc.) I have seen 2. Maybe im doing something wrong also??? As far as pointers, one was about 45 miles back Petersville road, and the other was halfway between Cantwell, and Alpine Creek. i wouldnt call either of those locations "close" to Anchorage. Good luck!

The only people I've met that have had any consistent success with wolves and bullets were in remote (Bristol Bay/ Kusko) areas and they all used snow machines. Usually it was hotspot hunting when word got out that someone had seen a bunch on on of the snogo trails from ground or air and there are some favored moose wintering areas as well that these guys would check out. Or, they would have a bunch of sign observed on their extensive traplines and they would head out in a fresh snow and good visibility day and cut tracks and go find them. I can't say I'd be too fired up for the method but it put fur in the shed....

These guys covered lots of miles and burned plenty of gas, and even though they truly knew their areas very well, they still often got skunked. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a snogo ride with a rifle on your back....who knows....may come across something, and hopefully enjoy the scenery in the meantime.

Which FoxPro Call to use ?? The one i like is the FoxPro Shockwave. It has put a lot of fur to rest this season.
    The features of this call once learned can be used to bring you fur. The decoy you can attach to it is best used only when the critter approaches.
    I would like to point out that its best to experiment with the call to learn how to use it and how far away you can hide from it.
    Do this before you ever take it affield. the Last thing you want to do is educate the game you are hunting.
    A shooter that can produce moa groups makes a good combo with this unit.
    If your good you can hunt wolves with it, if you find good fresh sign and have ideal wind directions.
    Two shooters 2 callibers make ideal set up. Your biggest problem is your scent and sitting dead still. Watch the wind.
    And you should be entertained by the winged warriors that you attract.
    A good Body Heater Suit is wise choice also.
    Enjoy

You can get Wolves by the pound and by the ton, if your up to it.
    The wife and i shoot and snare them, and this years no different. We use a snowgo into a favored spot on a mountain top and watch the Caribou below to see whats comming up, then we howel like the cartoons and up they come. as well, when we find wolf kills, we camp on em, not far, within rifle shot, set traps/snare and if the are on the run, we get ahead of them useing the snow go, terrain and long distance shooting and let them come to us..

Fact is , once you learn wolves, you can target and produce, but its kinda intuitive, you have to really think hard , as close to what a wolf will do and I find thats my major advantage. its goot to get above or ahead of them and let them come to you.

I preferred bolt actions with 30-06 class of bullet and range. 7.62X54r fits that equasion quite well. Snareing a kill site produces quite well too.

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

hey everyone just got a new AR that I want to give a try, Im in anchorage and looking for some tips/areas not too far away to help me bag a wolf or two open to thoughts and suggestions, also what FoxPro should I get? Thanks again
    If you want my inexperienced opinion, it is that wolves are a challenge to see and kill. Not sure what your time frame is, but I believe you need to get out. In my two years of living in the bush, I've only seen one wolf and that was from a plane. I've seen plenty tracks, but very few wolves. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I was not suggesting you shoot the wolves from the airplane. Like some people would do that illegal. Use the plane to find where the moose and caribou are, if the wolves are not there now they will be.
    I'f I'm not mistaken it is still legal in parts of the state.

They are around. My wife and I 3 years ago where driving back from Seward and spotted 4 of them eating a Moose that got hit by Girdwood. I may never see one again and I'm in the woods on average 2times a month. Probably more. We have watched Lynx and yoties lots of them. Never a wolverine and only the 4 wolfs. Best bet is to hunt hard and long. They are everywhere but honestly I think they are smarter then more people in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022 View Post
    honestly I think they are smarter then more people in the woods.
    Certainly better equipped!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast