Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak south rd Goats

Default Kodiak south rd Goats

Well lucky enough to draw the south rd system goat tag. Now here's my million dollar question!! Do I take the ferry? Or fly down to a remote lake? Also anyone have great experience with big Agnes lightweight tents?? Feel free to PM me if u don't wanna post any secrets I'm alllll ears right now

You take the ferry, that way you can load up your truck / suv & use it as a base camp. Drive down towards Pasagshak road & spot goats. There is a camping area down there as well, & then spike out after your goat.

Sweet kinda been my thoughts as well but wanna be reassured lol

Quote Originally Posted by WallHanger View Post
    Well lucky enough to draw the south rd system goat tag. Now here's my million dollar question!! Do I take the ferry? Or fly down to a remote lake? Also anyone have great experience with big Agnes lightweight tents?? Feel free to PM me if u don't wanna post any secrets I'm alllll ears right now

Take the ferry like marmot suggested. Pshak is a great place to start. If you can bring in an atv, head out to summit lake via the trail JA the olds river and hike up the ridge by the lake. Lots of goats and quite easily the easiest hike to goats. I wouldn't worry too much about the TEnt as you will be fairly close to your truck if you get in a pinch.

Best goat tag in the state. Hands down. Shaft peak holds good goats and there is a trail
    Up in from the gravel pit. Atv trail to summit lake is a great olace. Hike up the risge west of the lake between summit and lake miam. Lucky you. Bring a deer tag as well just in case. Silvers might be in the rivers depending on when you go down. Take the ferry from homer for sure!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Best goat tag in the state. Hands down.
    I think some of the road system hunts on the K-Pen are my idea of the best ones in the state. That said after our goat hunt back in 2009 I've put in for it every year. Yet to win it.

I would just fly down and rent a car myself. Its faster and not planning your hunt around the ferry. Did that in 2012 with two buddies that drew goats. 3 guys, 2 mountain goats, and all our gear in a Ford focus....it with what you'd call "snug" driving back to Kodiak.

I voted for kodiak being the best tag since the mtns are all just about under 2500 feet. Most goat hunts there can be done in a day, see three to four dozen goats in a day, and other activities are right there without the crowds!

Cordova has some awesome
    Goat hunting as well, but id still pick a south kodiak goat tag if someone would offer me one!!
    Master guide 212

We flew down and rented a focus as well. Parked it on Pasagshak and hiked in for a few days. Bagged a goat on the first day after setting up base camp. We got another stalk in along the road system, but couldn't close the gap. I was hoping to get one with my bow, but ended up shooting one with the rifle. Could have knocked down a nice buck just after shooting the goat, but decided we already had enough work ahead of us. It seemed like the later you go, the further the goats will be pushed away from the road from the pressure. I took mine at the end of September. Been putting in for that tag as a party permit every year. Next time we would probably take the ferry so we have our own vehicle there and save money from air fare and rental car, plus we could take a bunch more gear.

Usually the last two weeks of the season the leaves are off and the grass is brown and the goats are pretty easy to find. There are hiking trails up almost every desirable mtn down there.
    Jerod just do the nov bow hunt registration hunt. Then no draw and the big bullies are lookin for nannies then as well!
    Master guide 212

Personally, I always take the ferry. I'm in the opposite situation you are in, but the same. For me and my truck on the ferry round trip from Kodiak to Homer is sually $350ish. I go hunt the KP every dall for at least a week, easier to take my gear, weather dones't keep the ferry from leaving or gettign here anywhere near as often as it does the planes. Also, what's the rental gonna cost ya? My bet is way more for the week than the drive from ER to Homer will.

Def appreciate all the info! ill be going aug 18 since its the only time my brother can get time off as well, so if i take the ferry just throw the quad in the back?? i aint afraid to hike and sweat!! i live for this lol makes me smile ear to ear when u guys keep saying best tag in the state! haha keep the info coming guys! im excited to use my new Vortex Razor to glass up some big billys!!

In aug the horns will all look big due to shorter hides. Bugs might be something to prepare for as well. Best of luck!!
    Master guide 212

Ive read that kodiak has a meat locker? so assuming we shoot one day 1 , is it best to go throw it the meat locker and kill the second one without having to worry about meat spoilage? has anyone else done this? also is it worth dropping some deer if were waiting on the ferry at the end of the hunt?

Abel what site are you using?? Alaska marine is saying 327 $ one way with 2 people and truck

$358 for me round trip last Sept ($179 each way), 19' truck, driver goes free round trip if both trips taken in same season (winter or Summer). Looks liek prices changed, just priced out my trip for this fall, $502 round trip.

Ya, throw quad on the truck, although you don't need it IMO.

Not sure on the meat locker. The hotels
    Will freeze stuff, most commercial
    Places can't take wild game. But there might be a place now. Is drive over to Andrews air and ask them if you could out it in theirs and offer then some
    Coin.
    Master guide 212

I'd be willing trade some freezer space in one of my chest freezers for a couple growlers or Moose Tooth Creamsoda

Lol Abel might be worth it to buy another freezer and sponsor the forum with deals like that!!
    Master guide 212

Ferry hands down

looks like its the ferry and a bunch of growlers headed to Kodiak in August!! is it August yet???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast