Thread: Sheep judging class

Default Sheep judging class

I went to the class on Saturday and found it very helpfull. Joe Want had some great stuff to say about stalking and how to tell if sheep are stressed or alerted to your presence. Some good info about what to do and look for after the first shot also. What I really thought was interesting is how he explained the 360 degree rule. He had another name for it also. I was there in person and saw him explain it with a set of sheep horns in his hands while I had a set in mine. Even after that it was a little more confusing than I thought it was. I understand that it needs to be 360 degree and get the stick method and am getting more proficient at aging sheep. But after his class the 360 degree rule seems to also have a wierd twist to it that he described using two levels to judge. All in all it was super informative and I loved the class and would go again in a heartbeat. Joe did a great job and I want to make sure that I am not mistaken about that. I think I will go with the stick method. Might let some legal ones walk but atleast you can know for sure. Anyone else go to the class that had some thoughts? Thanks Tekla

I too thought both clinics were great. I agree with the confusion as far as the levels example. To me, didn't seem very applicable in the field. The stick method is obviously the safest, with the helix being another option. I really appreciated Frank explaining that you may have a sheep that meets the helix minimum, but not the stick method. Low drop and extreme flare would be this case. I'd go again too, and plan to. The bear seminar I felt I gained more from, probably just because I haven't read anything and everything I can on bears like I have with sheep.

AZinAK

The bubble level concept was an attempt to explain the parallel line aspect of when the tip has curled back into 360 degrees. Without a full curl horn and a bubble level it was way too hard to convey. The diagrams on the screen were good to get that across.

The split horns were very useful to show the difference between actual annuli and false ones.

After all the questions on here over the years I was expecting more questions to Joe. I knew there was not a good answer to my question, but I was hoping for some insight.

Thanks for coming guys! I'm glad you enjoyed them. Please feel free to give us ideas for future topics of interest.

Brett

I had only planned to go to the sheep part. I didn't even know that there was a bear skinning - and I did not know that Joe would be doing the talking.

I wish he had more time. I would have loved to hear more hunting stories by him.

The real point he was getting at - use the stick rule and don't even try to count rings. I know that there's a lot that do - and some of those are the ones that have an unpleasant visit with the Bio's and Troopers.

Does anyone have pictures from the seminar. I'd like to see those split horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    Does anyone have pictures from the seminar. I'd like to see those split horns.
    I wanted to take some but the lights were too low for it to come out. Since the inner face was not polished you needed to have them in your hands to flip back and worth to see where the inner color change pinched off into the outer annuli.

here is a link to a decent inner image on a blog.

http://theolduvaigorge.tumblr.com/po...heep-are-found