Thread: Fall Muskox on Nunivak

Default Fall Muskox on Nunivak

Some Questions for guys that have flown into Mekoryuk. I got lucky and drew a tag for Sept. I am kicking around shipping my Jet ranger and motor out to bethel on AK Airlines Cargo then taking it with on Hagland to Nunivak. So for the guys that have set foot in Mekoryuk, how far is the airstip from town and the river that runs by town? I know that folks in the village will be willing to give you a ride for some cash. How about accessing the mouths of the other rivers on that side of the island via boat? Any other tips on the fall hunt are much appreciated. I have searched the site already and it seems that everyone has hired transporters which is not off the table for me but I'm weighing my options first.

Thanks Gents.

Hey Steve Rinella drew that tag maybe you will run into him out their!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Hey Steve Rinella drew that tag maybe you will run into him out their!
    What's your deal with Steve Rinella? You got some kind of man crush? Does he have a retraining order on you yet?

Having hunted Nunavak twice, both times in the spring, I would highly recommend using one of the local transporters. No substitute for local knowledge,

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    What's your deal with Steve Rinella? You got some kind of man crush? Does he have a retraining order on you yet?
    Your typo makes that even funnier.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    Hey go To a guys house all of the sudden you are a stalker....

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Hey go To a guys house all of the sudden you are a stalker....
    If you're not invited I think that is the definition of stalker.

Default Spring Muskox hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Hunter View Post
    Having hunted Nunavak twice, both times in the spring, I would highly recommend using one of the local transporters. No substitute for local knowledge,
    I drew the DX003 tag. Do you have a recommendation for a transporter. Send me a pm lrs16617@aol.com thanks

I think Rinella drew the DX003 spring hunt. Anyway my wife drew the fall permit 6 years ago. We ended up going with transporter Abe David. I talked to one of the ADFG guys in Bethel and mentioned a few ideas I had for getting around using a transporter. I was given the impression this was frowned upon and was highly recommended I use a transporter. From what he told me I would be very concerned about the condition you may find your boat in when you return to shore. I can't see you saving a lot of cash by doing what you mentioned unless transporter costs have increased a lot in the last 6 years. She took a nice bull with her bow on day 2 of the hunt. PM me if you want any details.

I think Rinella drew the DX003 spring hunt. Anyway my wife drew the fall permit 6 years ago. We ended up going with transporter Abe David. I talked to one of the ADFG guys in Bethel and mentioned a few ideas I had for getting around using a transporter. I was given the impression this was frowned upon and was highly recommended I use a transporter. From what he told me I would be very concerned about the condition you may find your boat in when you return to shore. I can't see you saving a lot of cash by doing what you mentioned unless transporter costs have increased a lot in the last 6 years. She took a nice bull with her bow on day 2 of the hunt. PM me if you want any details.

Give James Whitman a call for transporter needs. First class. Good luck.

I had the tag a number of years ago and was looking to ship snowmachines out there until I heard similar stories of what Jason was talking about. Rumors of guys coming back to their camp and finding it trashed or altogether gone. I never talked to anyone to confirm whether that really happened, but heard it enough times to believe it was possible. Unfortunately, it is likely a major source of income on the iisland and regarded as an entitlement.

we went with James Whitman last spring and would call him again If I drew another tag that is a big island and you could waste days looking for animals ,with the cost of getting gear out and back and price of local gas transporter cost isn't bad. Also had a local help with caping the ox head it was a chore he had a few tricks for dealing with horns. We kept all gear and meat boxes under 50 lbs and it cut down on cost flying it back.