Thread: August suggestions

Default August suggestions

I've been lurking around on the forum for a while now and finally joined. Myself and a buddy are looking into making a trip this August to get our "feet wet" in Alaska. Any suggestions for a first trip? We both have NBEF cards. We'll be flying into Anchorage so we can do a couple days fishing on the same trip. Currently thinking about trying the Haul Road for caribou or possibly black bear or blacktail in a different area. Don't have a lot of budget for flying out this year and just looking for some general ideas that would be possible from a rental vehicle. Rentals for the Haul Road are pretty expensive so we are thinking there might be some better options for a first trip. Thanks

You can't hunt deer from Anchorage without flying. Haul Road caribou is an 18 hour road trip one way. PWS isn't open for black bear until September. You might look into paying a charter to fish and drop you off out of Seward or Homer for black bear in mid to late August. The bears should be up high in the berries by then. Study the regs and then study them again.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't very clear in my original post. The additional cost of flying out from Happy Valley or Deadhorse is out of our budget. Seems like $2000 each is the going rate for a drop camp with your own gear. After the rental cost and fuel to drive up there it would be out of our budget. If you had $1500 each for travel cost after getting to Anchorage and 8-9 days what would you recommend as a good starting point? We are considering a a lake hunt with 40 Mile Air in the next year or 2 and would like to get some Alaska experience first. Thanks again.

For an affordable diy hunt, I would recommend black bear. The species is prolific through south central ak. as long as you are not afraid to climb and get up into the berries...There are plenty of areas to hunt which are easy and inexpensive to access. If you are looking for good hide quality I would try to go afield as late in August as possible..even in August they are not going to be that great.. at least not like late September... good luck!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

keep in mind also, rental car agencies wont allow you to take their car up the haul road.

forty mile caribou herd, has a non res season at end of august, it'll be a crash open and close hunt so you need to be on site, or fly out into zone 2.. bears are open year round up north, however difficult to hunt that early.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Kodiak road system deer. You can cuddle with the bears

POW island deer, plenty of roads to drive and plenty of black bears...though I'm not sure if they're open in august, I think its a sept hunt. The bears will be down on the creeks, the deer will be up high.

Central AK black bear hunt. That's my go to 'vacation" plan everyfall, already looking forward to it. Hard physical hunt like a sheep or goat hunt, well if you like that stuff. And the best views of AK are from the tops. Don't have to worry if this animal is legal, well as much as you do with moose or sheep, legallity is pretty easy to determine most of the time. See lots of animals and some amazing country, you can make that hunt as hard or easy as you want. If you want deer and fishing, Kodiak in August.

Thanks for the ideas. I've priced the few places that will rent a truck for the haulroad and it makes it pretty expensive. Kodiak sounds like a good option for early deer. Abel would you mind if I PM you a couple questions?

Have at it man, I'll do what I can for ya.

what are your dates in Aug? Right now I plan on doing a week hunt with my bow up there for caribou, and am doing it solo so if our dates match maybe we can come up with a plan

A $1500 limit inst going to get you very far... PM me and i can give you a few options...

PM sent. Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. Looks like I'll be working overtime to up the budget some!

NR Road POW Black bear is a draw hunt now I think.

so much for that idear lol. There are other, though maybe not as good, combo hunts like it.

POW sounds like a great trip. Gonna keep it in mind for another year. I've really just started looking into the draw hunts this last year. With a state as big as Alaska it's a little intimidating figuring out all the logistics. We decided to go for the trip to Kodiak this year. Hoping to learn from that trip and make future trips easier to plan. Thanks to everyone for the advice so far.

POW is a great bear hunting island. I've hunted deer, bear and wolf there quite a few times. It's declined quite a bit since the outdoor writers started publicizing it in every magazine they could but it's still a great place for bear and deer. Keep in mind that non residents have to draw now. The odds for drawing a non resident bear is 55% in both spring and fall. Spring success is 58% success while fall is only 23%. Why don't you hunt Sitka blacktails in the fall? It's a cheap and easy hunt. Staying in a Forest Service cabin makes it even cheaper.
    If you're hell-bent on hunting Kodiak for deer, come up around Thanksgiving time. It might cost you a bit more than you think for a transport. I've flown with Island Air, Andrew Air and Vertigo Air quite a bit. Any bush pilots these guys have are top-notch. If you're REALLY serious about coming up, PM me.

Longbow PM sent