Thread: New to Alaska? Consider these tips...

Default New to Alaska? Consider these tips...

Tips I have gleaned from years of trolling and a couple of trips north.
    1. Nobody minds if you sleep in the airport a half a night when you arrive to save a couple bucks.
    2. You can slip over to Ship creek which is right in town and rent salmon gear. You can be salmon fishing within 1hr of landing.
    3. I ALWAYS wish I brought more sweets.
    4. Search the forums before you tell us you have a tag but have never seen the TMA!
    5. If a hungry fly would land on the carcass, you left too much meat on it.
    6. Figure out your freezer options PRIOR to going into the field.
    7. Success could double the cost of your hunt, be prepared.
    8. Most bush planes have not yet installed the ATM's so frequently found down south, be prepared with cash.
    9. Weigh advice from this site carefully, a seemingly insignificant post could save your hunt.
    10. Dead people don't eat caribou or take photos. What I mean is: Protect your life, then pack for fun.
    MORE...

11. Never EVER leave your cameras in the tent while hanging around the fire, you might miss the chance to take pics of a beautiful grizzly only about 100 yards away!

We learned that one the hard way didn't we Nick??

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    11. Never EVER leave your cameras in the tent while hanging around the fire, you might miss the chance to take pics of a beautiful grizzly only about 100 yards away!

We learned that one the hard way didn't we Nick??

11.5 The same thing could be said for your rifle (doesn't apply ONLY to grizzly).

Mike and I learned both of those lessons at the same instant. Followed immediately by two grown men running for the rifles and at least 1, me, screaming like a little girl!

12. Never borrow a trailer without repacking the wheel bearings and checking the tires including the spare.

13. Never borrow something that you cannot afford to replace.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Nick, this grizzly came roaring through Scott and I's camp this year on the first evening, about an hour after I cooked up ribeyes for dinner - must have thought we had an extra one for him! Snapped this pic with one hand, with my rifle in the other hand - when I first saw him he was a couple hundred yards up the creekbed, coming fast...

8 guys sitting around a campfire by a strip just north of nowhere and a lone wolf runs up and skylines about 200 yards away and there wasn't a rifle one handy! Lots of running ensued but ol' lobo wasn't hanging around to see what all the commotion was about.

Slept in the airport quite a few times!

11.75 - Never run from a bear screaming like a little girl.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

12. Always bring a mosquito head net, they don't weigh anything.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Small Ziplock bag with a handful of baby wipes. They can get wet and you can still use them for TP. Plus you smell all fresh and clean. LOL.
    Tony

Shop the travel toiletries section of a pharmacy. They sell small packs of baby wipes, for travlin moms that pack and work well for old bums.

13. You should probably start growing that beard out, get a pair of x-tra tuffs, pair of carhartts, and a salty dog saloon hoodie. SUB-urban camo. Oh and make sure your ball cap has at least 10 dried fish scales on it In a way, it's sorta like wearing whites when you want to sneak up on a group of Dall rams.

14. Never switch out a brand new scope with your current scope the day before a trip to Kodiak for bear hunting. Even if the current scope is on sale and looks cooler.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    14. Never switch out a brand new scope with your current scope the day before a trip to Kodiak for bear hunting. Even if the current scope is on sale and looks cooler.
    Man don't bag on boomer you are a real ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtofak View Post
    12. Never borrow a trailer without repacking the wheel bearings and checking the tires including the spare.

13. Never borrow something that you cannot afford to replace.
    Or better yet make sure said trailer is latched onto the ball.

Even though it is AK you can still get your azz burned, especially on a 10 day hunt lol. Don't forget the sunscreen.

Additionally, a tarp or two is never a bad idea either. Also make sure your hunting buddy is prepared mentally AND PHYSICALLY.

15. If you want to hunt 7 full days, book for 10 full days in the field....and take a cheap paperback book.