Thread: Left Hand .375 H&H

Default Left Hand .375 H&H

I drew a great bear tag (DB375) so a good excuse to finally get a new gun. After talking with some bear guides, and I always wanted to have one, I would like a .375 H&H. However, there doesn't seem to be very many options off the shelf in Left Hand and stainless/synthetic.

I was hoping folks would shed some light on what i would need in order to build one as suggested by someone. I have never taken on a endeavor such as this, but seems like a way to learn a lot about rifles.

I am not set on any specific manufacture and was wondering what caliber and/or action would I need to look for in order to re-barrel it and convert it to .375 H&H? How much would it cost for supplies and a gunsmith to do each step???

Hope I am asking the right questions for what I want to do. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Default Left Hand .375 H&H

I think unless you specify that you do not want one a lot of people on this forum are going to suggest one of the ruger Alaskans in 375 ruger (not h&h), there are lots of left handed versions for sale, comparatively inexpensive, stainless/synthetic or laminate, and the 375 ruger will match the 375 h&h's ballistics... But the 375 ruger, for me, lacks sex appeal. It's a novelty cartridge that may be available for a long time (they are selling a lot if them) or it may not. It's not a 375 h&h.

But what do I know I bought a 450 marlin back in 2007, which I love and can give you more than a hand full of reasons why it's better than a 45-70 haha.

Good luck. I bought a new 300 win mag for my goat hunt after drawing a peninsula tag last year. It's all fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Browning makes an A-bolt in ss with or without the boss on it .Got one with the Boss system on it, didn`t like it so, I had it cut off and down to 20 inches, been a good shooter since

Yes do skip the boss. Many reasons why that brings an otherwise fine Browning down. Plus others in your party will thank you.

Thanks for the replys so far!

I considered the 375 Ruger, but for some reason the H&H appeals to me more. I have looked into the A-bolt, but that BOSS doesn't seem very popular up here from others that I have talked with.

I have a little bit of time so I thought that it would be a fun project and great learning experience to rechamber/barrel, an action for a different caliber. Please keep the ideas coming!!!!

Does the BOSS system work as brake of some sort, or is it more for tuning?

Down at GNG they have a Butch Searcy Custom made Remington in a LH in a 375H&H what makes this rifle very unusual Butch Searcy converted these to a CRF with a model 70 safety. Very interesting Rifle and rare as hell too. Think they wanted $1100 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBow View Post
    Does the BOSS system work as brake of some sort, or is it more for tuning?
    does both,and no fun to stand next to

I had Rem 700 LH 375 H&H & A Win 70 LH 375 H&H sold them both and bought the LH SS Ruger 375 20" love it think the case design is stronger.

Had a few case failures with the 375 H&H prefer the Ruger rifle and the cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    I had Rem 700 LH 375 H&H & A Win 70 LH 375 H&H sold them both and bought the LH SS Ruger 375 20" love it think the case design is stronger.

Had a few case failures with the 375 H&H prefer the Ruger rifle and the cartridge.
    I bought one of the LH SS Rugers in 375 Ruger and I agree with KK, I like this gun!

If you want a lefty stainless 375 H&H then contact Montana Rifle Company. They will build you for about $1,100. The rifle is basically a Win 70 with the old style trigger and just a little heavier than a Win 70. Controlled round feed to boot.

GunsAmerica only lists 2 blued LH 375. Win 70 LH Classic Safari Express for $2450 and a Dakota Arms 375 Safari LH for $5200

Thansk for all the help and suggestions so far. Definitely a lot to cosnider. A good friend of mine that reloads suggested that the 375 Ruger may be limited on reload options since you have to seat the bullet deeper (because fo shorter case i believe). Has anyone ran into this when working up loads?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBow View Post
    Thansk for all the help and suggestions so far. Definitely a lot to cosnider. A good friend of mine that reloads suggested that the 375 Ruger may be limited on reload options since you have to seat the bullet deeper (because fo shorter case i believe). Has anyone ran into this when working up loads?
    Not at all and there are a lot of bullets out there for 375.

I would stick with a controlled feed for dangerous game. Ruger or custom may be your only options for left hand stainless synthetic controlled feed. I would second the Montana Rifle or Ruger Guide Gun and have it rebarreled now or later if 375H&H is a must. There are of coarse many other options in the customs, just depends on budget.

Just looked at LH 375 H&H that 323 described, 20 " or 22" SS banded front sight, looked like a Brown or similar stock. $995

Link with pics
    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...47#Post8624247

For the price, I'd go with a Browning A bolt SS LH ,375 H&H. Like others, I had one and had the barrel cut down to 22". This made it a nice brush rifle. I got rid of it years ago and switched to the same rifle in .338 as I had feed issues with the long action of the .375 H&H on follow ups.

Thanks for everyones replies. I have found a used left hand SS 375 H&H that I am going to buy.

Did you buy the Rem 700 contorl feed at Great Northern Guns? Nice bear rifle in my opinion. Kurt

KK, I did not. I stumbled across one in the lower 48 that is what I was looking for. I would have liked to built one, but i am saving a bunch of $$$ and more importantly time just buying a used one.