Thread: A little fun in Florida

Palmer, Alaska, United States

Default A little fun in Florida

In January my better half and myself took a trip to Florida to escape Alaska's winter for a few days. Unfortunately for us, the weather in Florida was just about the same as it was up here! LOL!!!

We took a couple of days to join up with an Alaskan friend and snowbirder to the south, to go to Tiger Island Outfitters and practice up on our archery skills. I will be up front with everyone and let you know this was a completely 'canned' hunt. A 20+ acre enclosure with about 60 Florida wild boars brought in specifically for people to shoot and fill their freezers....This was a shoot and harvest event, but what a bunch of fun! Between the three of us we killed 10 pigs and Larry and I have enough wild pork to last us, hopefully, til next yr! (Seven of the pigs were ours - I lucked out with a 'twofer' shot ) If you notice in the picture, we both are bundled up - it was 39 degrees the day of our 'shoot'.

If you are interested in an inexpensive hunt, real life practice, and SUPER eating wild pig, you really ought to give it a try! Quite fun and relatively inexpensive.

Of interesting note. Wild boars are a MAJOR nuisance in the southern states...they are in serious need of population control. But boy do they taste good!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Taxidermy IS art!
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Palmer, AK.

Man that looks like a ton of fun.
    Been wanting to do this for a while.

I lived in South Texas for 2 years while in grad school, so I know first hand the damage wild hogs can cause (especially in Laguna Atascosa NWR). Congrats to you and keep stickin' em!
    But all conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and touch, and when enough have seen and touched, there is no wilderness left to cherish.
    -- Aldo Leopold