Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What Purpose does your "CIVILIAN" AR-15 serve for your needs......???

Default What Purpose does your "CIVILIAN" AR-15 serve for your needs......???

If you prefer AK-47 please respond (Request this thread be about the virtues of AK and AR platforms as a class & PLEASE Not about why you feel one is better than the other).

So why do you own this class of firearm, and what purpose does it serve for you.........??? If you do NOT own this class of firearm....WHY........???

Thank you for your polite input to this discussion.

Same as all my guns, nobody's business. No offense.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

As is the case with all of my firearms: to fulfill my personal obligation to defend my self, my family, my community, and my country from all oppression, whether individual or collective, foreign or domestic. All other uses are secondary.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

NON Taken, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Same as all my guns, nobody's business. No offense.

I have a DPMS Lr308 and I own it because Obama, Schulmer and Hillary don't want me to have one.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    As is the case with all of my firearms: to fulfill my personal obligation to defend my self, my family, my community, and my country from all oppression, whether individual or collective, foreign or domestic. All other uses are secondary.
    Well said. +1

I like that answer. For myself it would be the same as you state.......PLUS going forward my AR rifles will be my only hunting firearms. Sorry I can not give you any reputation point, it says I got to spread the appreciation around.

I bought my first one for that, standard A2? carry handle style.

Built my second one for fast follow up predator hunting.

Still trying to figure out what my 3 rd one will be for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear hunting.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

DLP and because we can! Wife likes hers cause it is light and manageable. Easily tailored to personal tastes and can modify or remove mods quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If you do NOT own this class of firearm....WHY........???
    Although I have nothing against the responsible ownership of AR style guns, personally, I've just never had the desire to own one. I either use my firearms to put food on the table or for bear protection. And if I ever need to use them to defend myself from 2 legged critters, the ones I own should do well enough for awhile anyway.....at least until, I run out of ammo.......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If you do NOT own this class of firearm....WHY........???
    Although I have nothing against the responsible ownership of AR style guns, personally, I've just never had the desire to own one. I either use my firearms to put food on the table or for bear protection. And if I ever need to use them to defend myself from 2 legged critters, the ones I own should do well enough for awhile anyway.....at least until, I run out of ammo.......lol.
    Ditto what 4mer said. Plus, I guess I lost interest in playing with plastic LEGO's by about age 10, when I started gaining an interest in firearms made of steel and wood.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

After owning several of them in the distant past, I've determined they just don't fit either my lifestyle or current aesthetic tastes. If others get a kick out of them- more power to them, I've got no qualms with it…just not for me. Can't think of anything I'd want to do with one that I can't do better with my bolt actions so I don't see a personal compelling need. I can understand the appeal given the "Lego-ness" of the AR-15 for the recreational or competitive shooter…an endless upgrade project to tweak and mod.

Of course- I used to be heavily involved in handgun combat competition but my taste has drifted to SA revolvers as I drift deeper into "later youth".
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Great answers everyone, especially those who choose not too own them, keep the responses coming.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I couldn't say it any better than 4merguide.

Or, IO.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    "later youth".
    Now THAT is one term I'm definitely going to have to start using.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Currently have a Ruger Mini-14 that is a bit big for my boys to shoot yet, however I really want to build an AR... mostly because I like the idea of picking all the individual parts and assembling it all myself. Problem is, I dont have an intended use in mind, and that will obviously determine what parts are used! Another back burner project on hold for funds and insperation...
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

AR parts are cheap now......I would invite you to consider if it would be prudent to shop for a two upper and two lowers. Maybe pick up two lower parts kits. The purpose or application can be determined later as the barrel length & cartridge are clarified.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Currently have a Ruger Mini-14 that is a bit big for my boys to shoot yet, however I really want to build an AR... mostly because I like the idea of picking all the individual parts and assembling it all myself. Problem is, I dont have an intended use in mind, and that will obviously determine what parts are used! Another back burner project on hold for funds and insperation...

I have a few semi-auto military type rifles. But no AR-15's. I can't really figure out why I would want one. They just don't attract me. Other folks seem to like them a lot.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

ARs can fulfill a variety of roles and I use them for most of them. I like all kinds of rifles, but ARs are among the most fun of any gun I use. They are able to fit a variety of shooters with ease (LOP, weight, innumerable grip and forearm choices, etc.) and the recoil (in most calibers) is such that anyone can enjoy shooting them. They may be tough to like from afar, but after a few thousand rounds are fired down range they become addictive........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast