Thread: Wolves change rivers

Default Wolves change rivers

Ecosystem engineers on a par with beavers! Who ever knew? http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelinde...0-ba37705b077a

I watched the video the other day, it was emailed to me. I firmly agree in the trophic cascade theory. But in the narrative there are also 1/2 truths or selective omissions. Spring flooding negates a lot of there points. Look at every river system in existence, they are shaped and move by big volumes of water regardless of ungulate foraging/browsing/grazing or lowered rate of it. Political and real issues in the greater area not mentioned include issues with feeding elk on the Jackson refuge, disease in buffalo and elk, wolf spreading so rapidly other species are in decline, domestic animal predation etc. The wolf pendulum has swung to far to the other side and now need to be managed back the other way. I have trapper friends trapping 80-100 pound coyotes in southwestern states that don't want to admit they have wolves present.

Wolves are not the engineers. sorry. Humans are. We put the wolves in place to do what they are doing. If humans had been allowed to manage the other game as we are intended to, the erosion from elk would not have been an issue. Attributing engineering to wolves is a gross stretch of the truth.

Better perspective....please recognize that documentaries are written in part to generate viewers, not necessarily improve our understanding of complex situations. The link below is to an article on the trophic cascade hypothesis in the journal Nature (highly prestigious). I think the article shows that what is presented in the documentary is incomplete.

Sean

http://www.nature.com/news/rethinkin...=NEWS-20140311