Thread: Tier I permits for out of staters

Default Tier I permits for out of staters

Does anyone know how so many people from out of state? I was just looking through the winners list for Tier I and noticed several winners from out of state.

Maybe residents that live outa state part time?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Seems like a good way to get yourself investigated… like a PFD app going out of state.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I noticed that too. First thing I thought was military. They're stationed in BFE, but hold a residence in AK. Maybe???

I gotta figure just like out of state PFD'rs they must have a really justifiable position, for it to feel right to publicly do what looks so wrong.

I don't apply for tier 1 but my name has maryland next to it when you look it up in the draw results. I'm sure that's going to raise some eyebrows when I pick up my bear tag. I'm a resident of AK but military and stationed in MD. I'm hating every second of it too. Only a few years left to go till retirement, then back to AK for ever. I'd suspect that a lot of the cases you are seeing are military guys that are residents of AK but stationed elsewhere.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I don't apply for tier 1 but my name has maryland next to it when you look it up in the draw results. I'm sure that's going to raise some eyebrows when I pick up my bear tag. I'm a resident of AK but military and stationed in MD. I'm hating every second of it too. Only a few years left to go till retirement, then back to AK for ever. I'd suspect that a lot of the cases you are seeing are military guys that are residents of AK but stationed elsewhere.
    You and the duck crew gonna head back up chicken ridge on your wheelers this year for your bou like you did last year buddy?

Nope, I drew a Kodiak bear tag, and will be the only AK hunt I get to do this year. I may be able to sneak in a duck hunt while I'm waiting to fly to kodiak though.

That will be spot on bro, sounds like a helluva trip, hope you bag a trophy!

Well first thing I did was call the TROOPERS and said hey their ARE some NO GOOD out of staters getting OUR tags investigate them NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    That will be spot on bro, sounds like a helluva trip, hope you bag a trophy!
    Thanks, I appreciate that. Hope you have a good season as well

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Well first thing I did was call the TROOPERS and said hey their ARE some NO GOOD out of staters getting OUR tags investigate them NOW!
    First thing I did was call the Troopers on you and said that you were a no good out of stater stealing our tags. Arrest him immediately! I also I told them that I saw you with no shirt on with a pair of wranglers and a cowboy hat selling yourself outside of sportsmans for moose hunting gear and cheeseburgers.

First thing I did was call the Troopers on you and said that you were a no good out of stater stealing our tags. Arrest him immediately! I also I told them that I saw you with no shirt on with a pair of wranglers and a cowboy hat selling yourself outside of sportsmans for moose hunting gear and cheeseburgers.
    Now Smokie we all know that is you out hooking for cheeseburgers.

Hold on smokie you didn't change your resident to alaska until last yr up until then you were are no good non resident from Oregon...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Hold on smokie you didn't change your resident to alaska until last yr up until then you were are no good non resident from Oregon...
    The last year and a half actually. You can't be hating on Oregon, that's where you are from as well!

I understand the military connection as I am retired military but Tier I is a Subsistence Hunt. So unless they are from one of the villages then just doesn't make since. I applied for Tier II a few years back, been in the state 24 years at that time and wife has been here 40 something. Neither of us qualified. I know that may have changed but not sure you could call it subsistence if you have to fly back to Alaska then out to the Bush to do the hunt. Even though I did draw a non Tier tag this year, but the whole draw and Tier system seems to be a bit screwed up. A TV host / writer gets 3 tags out of 18 and our family (brother n laws, Uncles, cousins and so forth) draw 3 tags out of 75 or so. Kind of of like the DOT random drug testing.. I got drawn 11 out of 12 months one year and other guys I worked with haven't been drawn in years. At least I got drawn for something. I'm done now.. we can get back to planning our next great adventure in the Great State of Alaska..

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    I understand the military connection as I am retired military but Tier I is a Subsistence Hunt. So unless they are from one of the villages then just doesn't make since.
    For the Nelchina caribou hunts in Unit 13, its due to a few lawsuits filed by people outside the unit. The end result was that it had to be opened up to all Alaska residents and F&G put a restriction on the permit that mandated a caribou permit holder and their entire household had to also moose hunt in Unit 13.

The other teir hunts for moose and what not also resulted in opening to all residents.

It is all tied to the state constitution. Under Federal subsistance laws they stick to rural use only and only issue permits to residents of villages.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

There is something goofy about the adf&g computer system. My wife and I have both been listed in the draw as out of state (intermittently). Sometimes it has listed the city in alaska and the state as Ut. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that we originally bought nonresident licenses for the first year we were here.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith