Thread: Bear and Sheep Seminars

Thumbs up Bear and Sheep Seminars

I'll be at both tomorrow in the big city. They are being held on the second floor of the Dena'ina Center. The bear clinic is from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm, and the sheep clinic follows from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm. Should be some good info to be had, and am excited to hear Mr. Joe Want give his experiences and expertise. I'll be shamelessly wearing my Kuiu Super Down Jacket as I've come to wear it almost exclusively since it's so warm and comfortable, so if you see me, say hi. Hope to see some of you all there.

AZinAK (Chris)

I did the bear clinic a few years ago and thought Joe Want did a great job. You should get some good info out of it. I might try to make it to the sheep judging seminar. Can never be too good at judging sheep (not that I'm good).

Plan on checking out the Sheep seminar and then I'll be at the SCI banquet.

I really wish I could make the bear seminar now that I have a kodiak tag. I wonder if he has any material he can send a guy through email.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Joe came to Delta and did the Bear and Sheep seminar a few years ago….excellent material and a great presentation. Must see for any serious hunter.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Joe Want was a wealth of information on this forum, sadly the "ankle biters" made it too unpleasant. The man has so much knowledge & boots in the field time, it is just a shame how he was treated. Was sad to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I really wish I could make the bear seminar now that I have a kodiak tag. I wonder if he has any material he can send a guy through email.
    When I get some time, I'll give you some info. The seminars were excellent. Highly recommend them.

AZinAK

Are these clinics for walk-ins or do we need some sort of reservation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

too late, as they were held this afternoon

Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smile Seminars

I agree, they were great as always. The best thing about JW is to ask questions and get him talking cause you learn so much. Someone said maybe he could present at the sportsmanship show. Maybe if enough of us email him he will consider it. He gave out his gmail as jwant43 if you want to ask questions or encourage another seminar. I've got to say he pretty much agrees with me that judging legal sheep by counting age rings is risky business. On the other hand he didn't get into his observations on harvest data and age of sheep which I haven't got to hear yet so maybe he could do that at the show cause I would love to hear it.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

He's a wealth of knowledge and if given an open floor, eager minds, and endless time, he'd probably talk forever. Bring your young ones as he really enjoys having them there.

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    When I get some time, I'll give you some info. The seminars were excellent. Highly recommend them.

AZinAK
    Thanks brother, I appreciate that.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Agreed, I learned a lot. The powerpoint he put together was really great. I was at the sheep seminar only so I'm assuming the issue with "ankle-biters" was a the bear seminar. Sheep seminar went very smooth.

The "ankle-biters" reference is in regards to people on this forum. Joe Want used to post on here but got tired of catching flack from some of the younger crowd who thought they more than him.

I attended the sheep seminar and thought it was really good. Will definitely attend the bear seminar next spring before I head down to hunt my Kodiak bear tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I've got to say he pretty much agrees with me that judging legal sheep by counting age rings is risky business. .
    VERY risky business. But I did it......"once"....lol

8th day of an 8 day hunt. I had seen the ram on the move earlier and had let him walk. But then I spotted him laying down less than 100 yards away. When he would lift his head up from behind a rock I had a view through the zoomed up spotting scope of the back of his head, and of course the rings are more pronounced. Looked at him for what seemed like forever. He'd lift his head up and I'd count.....2,3,4,5,6 and he'd put his head down. He'd do it again and again I'd count...2,3,4,5,6,7, and down his head would go. He lifted his head enough times and I finally counted 8 a few times that I took a deep breath and told my hunter to shoot. He ended up being not quite full curl but 8 years old.

Don't think I'll ever do that again.....waaaaay too stressful.

Oooops.....sorry for the hijack. I get carried away.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I always try to count rings but wouldn't go with it as my only source. Unless I had a great vantage and time like 4mer described. I'll go wih the stick method but try to count anyways. It's always fun to see if you count right. Of course you will never know unless you actually make the shot. It's kind of like looking at pull tabs in a glass you think you know but never do till you buy one and pull it. I have never harvested a sheep because I could t make the call but I haven't ever bought a pull tab either. Ha. Someday.

The sheep seminar was very informative and I learned quite a bit of new information. Joe W does an excellent job explaining and articulating the information he is trying to get across. To also have Frank and Sue E. in attendance was quite the treat for me, as they are my sheep hunting hero's.

This was the first seminar of Joe W's that I have attended, and would highly recommend his seminars to anyone considering attending in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    The sheep seminar was very informative and I learned quite a bit of new information. Joe W does an excellent job explaining and articulating the information he is trying to get across. To also have Frank and Sue E. in attendance was quite the treat for me, as they are my sheep hunting hero's.

This was the first seminar of Joe W's that I have attended, and would highly recommend his seminars to anyone considering attending in the future.
    My God there's that avatar bull again...!!!......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for coming guys! I was down stairs working the live auction, but I heard the seminars went very well. Seminars are free and you don't need to attend the banquets.

Brett