Thread: For hunters flying up to Alaska

Default For hunters flying up to Alaska

With tags just being released and guys starting to book flights up here, I wanted to give everyone a heads up. I was recently flying back here from the lower 48, starting my journey with American Airlines and switching to Alaska Air in Seattle. While checking in with American Air, I found out I was not allowed to bring a firearm because during my journey, I was switching airlines in Seattle to AK Air. If my journey was strictly with American it would have been fine. I thought she was just a dingle berry so I called to confirm this. The only way I could take a firearm was to leave the secured area at the airport I was switching airlines (Seattle) and re-check my firearm in with Alaska Air to continue my journey (impossible with a tight connection)!

Just want to give guys a heads up to double check with your airlines so you donít show up ready at the airport for an Alaska hunt and be told you canít bring your rifle. I havenít called around, but hopefully American Air is the only ones with this rule.

Anyone else heard of this idiotic rule before?? It was definitely news to me!!

You can also mail your rifle to yourself.

Never heard of that but thanks for the heads up. I wonder if it is because of lack of a baggage agreement between American and Alaska? I frequently take guns with me back to ND to hunt and those flights are usually one segment Alaska and then 2 segments on delta. The gun has never been a problem so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    You can also mail your rifle to yourself.
    I agree. I've always mailed mine versus taking it with me on a plane or over borders (Canada). Seems much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I agree. I've always mailed mine versus taking it with me on a plane or over borders (Canada). Seems much easier.
    You guys are braver than I am. My experience has taught me that I really don't trust the post office to safely deliver even a cheap Netflix DVD. I sure has hell would never allow them a chance to lose or damage one of my guns.

I just make sure to insure my valuables or fragile items mailed for a little more than they are worth. Insured or not, would really suck to loose a rifle right before a hunting trip but sending it well in advance might give yourself some leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    You guys are braver than I am. My experience has taught me that I really don't trust the post office to safely deliver even a cheap Netflix DVD. I sure has hell would never allow them a chance to lose or damage one of my guns.

I've never had this issue. Must be between those airlines specifically. I always book through Alaska Air and let them fill in the legs with whatever partner airlines they use.... No hassles that way.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...e/firearms.jsp

Straight from their website, "Firearms are accepted on American and American Eagle operated itineraries only" so they just suck in general. Doesn't matter what the other airline is.

Never considered mailing my firearm, just seemed cheaper, quicker and easier to go the checked baggage route.

Haven't checked, but I would figure it is because American and Alaska don't code share. I would imagine it would be no problem between Delta and Alaska. Same thing happens with regular bags when we fly to the Caribbean via Delta and then American. We have to recheck our bags on the switch to American.

Basically it's a good heads up to check on your airlines policies.
    American Airlines is pretty much is worst thing going today and should be avoided if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Buy guns here. Sell guns here.

Also if you are using an era alaska flight to get out anywhere remote alaska, I would expect major delays on every flight.

I fly several times per year between Fairbanks and the east coast- usually with a firearm and never had an issue with Delta to AK Air baggage transfers.

It does pay to check however.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

When I fly from California to Kodiak on Alaska Airlines I switch to ERA for the leg from Anchorage to Kodiak. No problems there. It's on the way back the issue occurs. ERA doesn't have the fancy security equipment needed to clear my gun all the way through. Strange I can send my other bags through. I have to claim the gun when I get back to Anchorage and recheck it. The layover is typically only 45 minutes and that is definately not enough time. Knowing this could be a problem I select a flight with a 2 hour layover or book the Alaska jet out of Kodiak instead of ERA.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by caribouman View Post
    When I fly from California to Kodiak on Alaska Airlines I switch to ERA for the leg from Anchorage to Kodiak. No problems there. It's on the way back the issue occurs. ERA doesn't have the fancy security equipment needed to clear my gun all the way through. Strange I can send my other bags through. I have to claim the gun when I get back to Anchorage and recheck it. The layover is typically only 45 minutes and that is definately not enough time. Knowing this could be a problem I select a flight with a 2 hour layover or book the Alaska jet out of Kodiak instead of ERA.
    Brian
    Going from Alaska to Era you go form more security to less, so all bags are just transferred, no big deal. When you go from Era to Alaska you are going from less security to more. So from less to more, all checked luggage have to be screened by the TSA in ANC. Bags that can go through the automatic machines can be transferred no problem. But guns and pets don't go through the automatic machines so you have to pick them up and present them to the TSA to get hand screened. Pain in the neck but the only way in can work with you present to open the gun case or animal cage if they need it open or it alarms there machines for explosives and they have to hand search.

Whenever possible, just book Alaska Air all the way. I know that won't always work, but I'd find another way than shipping a firearm. Too many things can go wrong there.

Why would you switch from Alaska Air to Era when flying to Kodiak? I flew from Anchorage to Kodiak once...Won't ever do it again. Customer service is horrible.

Never had a problem transferring from AK to Delta while transferring a firearm. Or vice versa.

Alaska and Delta have never been a problem. American did this to me last week returning home from Texas Hog hunt. Thank God I had enough time between flights. Had to get off in Chicago, get rifle, check it in with Alaska then back through security. Never, ever, ever have American Airlines as part of your carrier if you are going hunting.

It was something started to minimize the out of state hunters. Next is the post office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I shipped a gun case with two guns in it. Browning and a shotgun. I mailed from GA to AK. Insured up to 2k and it cost me $50. That was it. It was in my village before I arrived 4 days after leaving ga. Took the rifle out of case and gun was still zeroed in. No adjustments were needed. I only mailed because I brought groceries in my second bag this year.