Thread: Bad bottom metal fit

Default Bad bottom metal fit

I bought a new Winchester ultimate shadow ss chambered in 270 wsm. I haven't found a load that will consistently print less than 1.5 inches, so I thought I would take the stock off and check out the bedding. When I took the stock off I noticed the bottom metal is flexing a good quarter inch when taking it apart. I know it shouldn't do this, but not sure if its enough for erratic groups? Think this might be my problem? I have been looking into a McMillan or a b&c medalist, but im not sure I want to buy a stock for a gun that shoots so poorly.....although a new stock may fix the issue. I checked rings, new scope, crown looks good, so im thinking poor stock fit could be the issue? Any thought would help...

Sounds like perhaps the mag box is not seated correctly? Does the bottom metal fit well without the mag box in place? I would venture to guess that the cheap plastic stock may be a contributing factor in poor accuracy. Skip the B&C and go with the McMillan. There is no substitute for quality.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I checked out the mag box and it seems to be seated properly. Im thinking the cheap stock may just be warped. Just checked out Stocky's and they have a McMillan super grade that would work nicely for it. They sure are expensive though....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Juneau07 View Post
    I checked out the mag box and it seems to be seated properly. Im thinking the cheap stock may just be warped. Just checked out Stocky's and they have a McMillan super grade that would work nicely for it. They sure are expensive though....
    Does the bottom metal fit well without the mag box in place? as Gunbugs asked? It would help to know.

I had an early B&C synthetic stock and the holes didn't even line up. I hadda get it glass bedded, too. It was kinda like a Shell filled with Styrofoam.

I got rid of that POS.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The bottom metal still has the poor fit with the mag box removed.