Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One or two doors

Default One or two doors

In my 16x20 cabin (not counting porch), is there any reason to put a door in the back? To this point I have been planning on only putting a front door in. FYI the wood stove will be in the front corner of the cabin. I will have windows in rear that could be used in case of fire. Any thoughts on doors, number of windows and placement of all of it would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by bawanna View Post
    In my 16x20 cabin (not counting porch), is there any reason to put a door in the back? To this point I have been planning on only putting a front door in. FYI the wood stove will be in the front corner of the cabin. I will have windows in rear that could be used in case of fire. Any thoughts on doors, number of windows and placement of all of it would be great.
    Where is the outhouse going?

Put door in other front corner or just put in back door like I did.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Might be a different deal down there in the tropics, but up here I'd say be sure to make your door wide enough to drag a snowmachine through.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Where is the outhouse going?
    Or any other buildings,or add ons 10yrs from now,It would be easier now than yrs from now wishing that you would have did it. I have both front porch and back were I put propane tanks. cooler, tools, chain saws ect....out of the weather. I wish I would have build my back porch another 4 ft wider. I promise that won,t be sorry that you did and like most of us you will out grow a 16x20 Cabin sooner that you think.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Or any other buildings,or add ons 10yrs from now,It would be easier now than yrs from now wishing that you would have did it. I have both front porch and back were I put propane tanks. cooler, tools, chain saws ect....out of the weather. I wish I would have build my back porch another 4 ft wider. I promise that won,t be sorry that you did and like most of us you will out grow a 16x20 Cabin sooner that you think.
    Completely Agree. Ours started 16x20, now its 36x20 with a 2nd story and covered porch.
    BK

I agree on outgrowing that size cabin. It is in the plans that this will become a guest cabin within 5 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by bawanna View Post
    I agree on outgrowing that size cabin. It is in the plans that this will become a guest cabin within 5 yrs.
    Careful with that plan. We are still in our "guest" cabin.

As for the second door. To me, that's a lot of valuable real estate being taken up in a small cabin. I'd go with an easy to exit window and a smoke alarm.

I would have 2 ways to get out. Be it an accessible window or a door. Bears, fire, Homeland Security, Jehovah Witness, IRS.......

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Better a door you never use, than cutting one in later.

I started with one door, then decided later to cut in another for an arctic entryway. I wish I'd built it that way from the getgo, and just blocked it off if I never used it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I would have 2 ways to get out. Be it an accessible window or a door. Bears, fire, Homeland Security, Jehovah Witness, IRS.......
    Thank you for the laughs...

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Great points, i think of all the choices the IRS may be the worst

I too vote for the bsack door and an "extra" porch

propane, woodsplitter, place to cut up your moose, all kinds of reasons and why's whatfors....

good luck,
    Chris

Woman's point of view:

We are in a small cabin. I call it the Shabin (shack/cabin). It has one entry door in the front. No arctic entry. My sweet husband built me a fine outhouse behind the shabin this past year. However, I have to go out the front door, then walk all the way around to the back to go to the outhouse. I informed sweet husband I wanted another door on the back for a fire escape and for a short-cut to the potty. He is going to do that, and build an arctic entry on the front.

solution: don't have a woman at the cabin
    Fly fishing makes me herl

There will be a woman in the cabin and there will be a back door. Thanks all for the points to consider

Red face What a man has to do....

Quote Originally Posted by etdvm View Post
    Woman's point of view:

We are in a small cabin. I call it the Shabin (shack/cabin). It has one entry door in the front. No arctic entry. My sweet husband built me a fine outhouse behind the shabin this past year. However, I have to go out the front door, then walk all the way around to the back to go to the outhouse. I informed sweet husband I wanted another door on the back for a fire escape and for a short-cut to the potty. He is going to do that, and build an arctic entry on the front.

solution: don't have a woman at the cabin
    FYI, the arctic entry is going on the back.

P.S. Hopefully this will prevent questions later on in the summer, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    FYI, the arctic entry is going on the back.

P.S. Hopefully this will prevent questions later on in the summer, LOL.
    Thank you for clarifying that, honey. Now I want an arctic entry on the front of the new outhouse, too. Will make it a lot easier to take off my coat and disrobe appropriately prior to perching on the fine throne you have built.

Thank you in advance
    Fly fishing makes me herl

Man's perspective. Two doors allows one to choose which porch to pee off of depending on which way the wind's blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Man's perspective. Two doors allows one to choose which porch to pee off of depending on which way the wind's blowing.
    Best reason yet!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Ya both got a good laugh out of me with these... but they are both very true!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast