Thread: Jig making safety

Default Jig making safety

I've been melting lead and making jigs for 2 years now. I have a north respirator and am wondering which cartridges to use. I was originally thinking the hepas but had a buddy tell me they were wrong. Any one have any knowledge on this?

post this in saltwater fishing and you'll get more answers

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Shoot i thought that's where I was. Maybe a mod will see it and move it

Well this is a subject I know well. I have made thousands of jigs and I have thousands of hours wearing respirators including in heavy lead enviroments.
    First off a respirator is not always required. Proper ventilation is a must though. As is proper hygeine such as hand washing and not eating, smoking, drinking, or using chewing tobacco while working with lead.
    I wear FRC coveralls only used for making jigs as well as safety glasses leather, footwear, leather gloves and often times a faceshield.
    The other thing you need to be fully aware of is the temp of your lead. I Always use a thermometer in my pot. I made a bracket to hold my thermometer near the side of the pot. If you keep your lead below 900*f you should not have it giving off excessive toxic fumes or many fumes at all for that matter.
    That is for clean lead.
    I run my lead between 650*f and 750*f. Any hotter and I turn the temp down quickly.
    I always melt scrap outside and if it is dirty such as wheel weights I let it go for longer than needed to melt the scrap to burn off all of those contaminants. I make sure the wind is blowing the fumes away from my house and anybody else including your neighbors if you have close ones.
    Then I flux it with Beeswax and stir it while the wax is burning. Your wax should burn while fluxing as this will draw up the excess dross trapped in your lead.
    After fluxing remove the dross again and you should have good clean lead you can use in your jigs or to be made into ingots.
    only clean lead ingots such as this are allowed to be melted in my shop.
    The HEPA filter is made to protect you from dust and particulate. This is what you should wear if creating lead dust. I avoid creating a lot of lead dust by carefully hand trimming all flash and hand filing all jigs clean rather than using electric tools.
    If fumes are a concern of yours then you need an Organic Vapor (OV) cartridge. You can also buy stacked cartridges that do both.
    Keep in mind OV cartridges are only good for ~ 12 hours once the package is opened regardless of how tight you seal it back up. After that you need new cartridges. Hepa cartridges are good for a longer use as long as you are carefull not to get the dust inside the mask during strorage.
    If you are careful and have good ventilation you might not need a respirator at all for jig making.
    If you want you can PM me with any more questions and I can answer your questions or point you in the right direction for more info.

btw please post up some pics of your finished jigs in the saltwater fishing forum so we can see them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

What he said is very good information.

I personally go with the Defender Cartridges. They get just about everything - including lead fumes. http://www.amazon.com/Series-Defende.../dp/B0068R8JBG

I'm a newbie to pouring jigs and have just done it outside and breezes are common in Juneau.....so, do you pros think this is safe enough? or should one always go for the respirator?

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I'm a newbie to pouring jigs and have just done it outside and breezes are common in Juneau.....so, do you pros think this is safe enough? or should one always go for the respirator?
    You should be fine. Outdoors with a breeze is a great place to make jigs.
    Especially if you have some good clean lead to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoatR View Post
    I personally go with the Defender Cartridges. They get just about everything - including lead fumes. http://www.amazon.com/Series-Defende.../dp/B0068R8JBG
    Those are the stacked cartridges I mentioned earlier in this thread just forgot the name.
    Still be aware as far as fumes and the OV part of the defenders go they are still only good for ~12 hours worth of fumes once the package is opened before you need to replace them.
    If you don't replace them that often then there is no sense in wearing a respirator for fumes anyway.
    The purple Hepa part of the cartridge is good for a lot longer but if dust is what you need protection from them a lighter plain Hepa cartridge makes the most sense in that situation.
    Also be aware a respirator needs to be fit tested to your face to work properly.Everybodys face is a bit different.
    I do this every year for my day job and have been for the last 15 years.
    So make sure you have the right size respirator if you need one or you can still be exposed.
    With proper ventilation and temperature control lead fumes from clean lead are not as serious an issue as many people make them out to be.
    That is just my personal opinion and if you really are concerned you should contact a certified Industrial Hygenist for more info.
    If I have respirator questions I know I can ask the Industrial Hygenist my main employer has on staff as the 2 we have are really good with this kind of stuff and do lots of testing on respirators etc.