Thread: I want to learn

Default I want to learn

Hello all. this is my first post on the forum. The reason behind this post is I want to learn how to hunt, but am not sure how to go about doing this. I am 30 years old and have been in Alaska for a little over two years and have spent most of the time in the Brooks Range working and hiking. Other waterfowl, I have never hunted anything but want to . Does anyone have any information or ideas on how I go about doing this. Ideally I would like to tag along on a hunt or two, but I do not know very many people up here so it has been hard finding someone willing to help. I want to primarily hunt in the Brooks to hunt bear, caribou, and more importantly, sheep. I now live in Fairbanks and work on the slope two and two. Are there any classes somewhere I can take, or does ADFG offer anything? I have kind of looked around their site but have not found anything. Thanks for any help and input.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntered.main

It sounds like you have a great start in that you have spent considerable time in the mountains already. One major hurdle for new hunters is that many simply don't understand the realities of the Alaskan outdoors. You seem to have that, so you can move onto the game end of things. Taking a basic hunter education course would be a great first step. Although much of the class can be done online, I highly suggest that you do the in-person class instead. In addition, stick around here and over time you'll start to make some connections and potentially find someone willing to let you tag along.

Yeah I am in the same boat as you. Never hunted but am excited to get out this year.

I live near Fairbanks and would be willing to share some knowledge and experience with you. I will be doing some training, shooting, gear prep and have some sheep heads you can look at to learn judging. Send me a PM and we can get together and chat if you like. I will most likely get out for a bear hunt or 2 this spring as well.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Alot of AK mountain hunitng is already what you've been doing, hiking.... Just hiking with intent to kill something Weapons and outdoors saftey are key, most of it can be considered common sense depending on how you were raised I guess. Whenever you're out hiking and spot an animal, watch it, get close and watch it, the more your just watch them, the more you put things together on how to stalk them. Stalking animals is a bonus to an enjoyable hike, once you pull the trigger, the enjoyable part is over

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I live near Fairbanks and would be willing to share some knowledge and experience with you. I will be doing some training, shooting, gear prep and have some sheep heads you can look at to learn judging. Send me a PM and we can get together and chat if you like. I will most likely get out for a bear hunt or 2 this spring as well.

Steve
    me too.. and like Stid.., im a retired old guy with lots of spare time on my hands..

( well i'm not as old as Steve) but more then willing to help a few young guys out.. learning to hunt is not difficult... being sucessful and knowing what to do AFTER is the hard part for some...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here