Thread: How old do you have to be to put in for draw?

Default How old do you have to be to put in for draw?

Question? I've got 5 woman in my family lol. My daughters are 6,8,17, and 19. How old do they have to be to put in for a draw? Assuming they need hunters ed first? I'd like to start paying someones salary at fish and game and adding their names into the pot! Start putting in for cow tags lol.

10 by the start of the hunt

sent from my igloo

What cowboy said, its in the "read this section BEFORE applying" on page 1 of the supplement

Hunters Ed is different depending on the area. You need to read the specific hunt restriction carefully.

My boys both drew tags the year they turned 10 (Kodiak Bear and a bull Moose), no hunters safety required because they are under 16 and hunting with you.
    Fin - N - Tonic

So my older daughters that are 17 and 19 do they need to take hunters ed this year before they hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by cohlp View Post
    My boys both drew tags the year they turned 10 (Kodiak Bear and a bull Moose), no hunters safety required because they are under 16 and hunting with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    So my older daughters that are 17 and 19 do they need to take hunters ed this year before they hunt?
    Yes, in certain units where hunter ed is required.

Check out the permit hunting supplement (front page: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...supplement.pdf)) or the big game hunting regulations (page 13: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/general.pdf)

Yep. My ten year old drew a antler less moose tag. Pretty cool for kids to get a chance to help freezer fill with tags they can fill and not miss school! Lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Question? I've got 5 woman in my family lol. My daughters are 6,8,17, and 19. How old do they have to be to put in for a draw? Assuming they need hunters ed first? I'd like to start paying someones salary at fish and game and adding their names into the pot! Start putting in for cow tags lol.
    Jeez man, I hope you got some shotgun shells! Keep them boys away!

It wasn't clear to me if hunter education is required for a 10yo to enter the draw. It didn't work out to get my middle son (just turned 10) into the class before the application period closed so I didn't put him in this past cycle.

If he is hunting with a adult they don't need it. I wasn't clear either and I just called and asked.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Either way, they only would need hunter ed to hunt, I don't think they need it to apply. The supplement just says you need it "before you hunt in the units listed above."

When I talked to ADF&G they said you can apply without having completed the Basic Hunter Ed course but if drawn, for a hunt that requires it, it will have to be completed before you hunt.