Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Sheep hunting unit 11

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    50

    Default Sheep hunting unit 11

    Anyone done any good sheep hunting in unit 11 looking at hunting there the first week in September?!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FinalFlight View Post
    Anyone done any good sheep hunting in unit 11 looking at hunting there the first week in September?!
    better check the regs closely.. I may be wrong but I think most of that unit is hard park

  3. #3
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Are you going guided?

  4. #4
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    better check the reg closely.. I may be wrong but most of that unit is hard park

    In that case the hunting should be awesome.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    50

    Default

    No guide DIY hunt my cousin hunted it a few years ago but didn't have any luck lookin to give it another try.

  6. #6
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    These guys know where pretty much all the sheep are over there.

    http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisi...ing-guides.htm

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Nice thanks for the tip I'll have to give them a call!

  8. #8
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,453

    Default

    Not sure on your sarcasm but that's the list I would not call! Lol preserve licensed guides aren't usually in the mood to help residents (ie...competition) out. I think wrangel air drops guys in the south part of the preserve. Them are nasty nasty mtns down there.
    Once you get an area narrowed down then maybe touch basis with the outfitter in that area and let him know your plans. Sometimes they will e super helpfull.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  9. #9
    Member mtnclimber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Ak
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Are you flying in, using an atv, doing a walk in?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Not sure on your sarcasm but that's the list I would not call! Lol preserve licensed guides aren't usually in the mood to help residents (ie...competition) out. I think wrangel air drops guys in the south part of the preserve. Them are nasty nasty mtns down there.
    Once you get an area narrowed down then maybe touch basis with the outfitter in that area and let him know your plans. Sometimes they will e super helpfull.
    Haha i hear ya but it never hurts to try sometimes ya get lucky! The same guy I am going grizzly hunting this spring with is dropping my cousin and I off. We have an area we are going to try just wanted to touch base with other fellow hunters that may have hunted the unit in the last few years to see how they have done. My cousin has hunted the area we are going to but hasn't been sheep hunting in 5 or 6 years out there. But i do appreiciate any tips that i get from you all on here since i am only beginner Alaskan since I've only been here 2 years!!!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    Are you flying in, using an atv, doing a walk in?
    Flying in.

  12. #12
    Member oakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    I have to believe there is quite a bit of information on the forum for Unit 11. Poke around with the search, try an advanced google search for particular areas you're interested in, check the F&G harvest records, and check some of the NPS stuff. They have maps showing where ATVs are allowed, where some of the cabins and airstrips are located, etc.

    Good luck!

  13. #13

    Default

    Post the coordinates of the landing strip and we can give some advice on where the large rams hang out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I have to believe there is quite a bit of information on the forum for Unit 11. Poke around with the search, try an advanced google search for particular areas you're interested in, check the F&G harvest records, and check some of the NPS stuff. They have maps showing where ATVs are allowed, where some of the cabins and airstrips are located, etc.

    Good luck!
    I haven't found much info on here for that unit but thanks!
    All I know is we are going north of long glacier somewhere.

  15. #15

    Default

    I would be scared to fly in to a spot with a guy whose username is final flight. Haha

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    I would be scared to fly in to a spot with a guy whose username is final flight. Haha
    It'll be the last flight ya ever go on haha!!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    Post the coordinates of the landing strip and we can give some advice on where the large rams hang out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Solid gold! When you guys are done with this easy task will you sharpen my chainsaw? Lol good stuff

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •