Thread: Changing Unit 20A To Any Bull... Not gonna happen

Default Changing Unit 20A To Any Bull... Not gonna happen

I know quite a few folks on here were hoping that they would eliminate the 20A antler restrictions for moose. The BOG just voted 7-0 on prop 98 to keep the antler restriction and the drawing permits for any bull in place. I think there are a couple more upcoming proposals on this, but the discussion for the board was pretty one sided.

A large part of what hurts that possibility is the 2013 moose survey that showed a decline in moose numbers. They are only going to issue around 540 any bull tags this year compared to 1000 last year and 900 the year before. My hope is that with the elimination of the antlerless tags this year, and the reduced number of any bull tags, the hunting pressure will drop considerably.

The conditions seem to be prime for this area for the moose to thrive, so even though I would love to have somebody in our party draw an antlerless or any bull tag this year, I'd like to see the moose numbers jump back up, and I think they will in short order. My personal take is that between the board of game and fish and game, they are managing this one just right.

I think fish and game does a lot of things right. Granted some things are done poorly and that's what most people talk about and it can sound like adfg is incompetent but they really aren't.

Also for 20A and B, they just passed taking grizzly bear over baits, but it sounds like there will need to be some caution there, because a lot of areas have grizzly seasons that end on May 31st when the baiting season continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Also for 20A and B, they just passed taking grizzly bear over baits, but it sounds like there will need to be some caution there, because a lot of areas have grizzly seasons that end on May 31st when the baiting season continues.
    That's excellent news!

Thanks Skip Olsen!
    (Being able to bait Grizz that is)
    BK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the KP has the same season, so it shouldn't cause to much issue for traveling folks. and remember a portion of the upper chena area.. is June 30 for grizz..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Thanks Skip Olsen!
    (Being able to bait Grizz that is)
    BK
    while Skip certainly is due his rewards... it was ADFG staff that saved this one. we nearly lost it, until some new information was presented by David and Bruce and that swayed 2 votes for sure back in our favor
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I was listening on line and thought it was going to fail until ADF&G spoke up. I heard a lot of "I'm not going to support this because..." then when the vote came out it passed 6-1. Makes you think that the public testimony is really just a pointless process as the final discussion between the BOG, F&G, the troopers and the area biologists is all that is usually talked about. Sometimes I've heard them talk about the public testimony, but it is usually just to make a quick point then the conversation quickly moves on.

So does this take effect Spring of 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    So does this take effect Spring of 2015?
    yes..............

meet on face book here

I was listening on line and thought it was going to fail until ADF&G spoke up. I heard a lot of "I'm not going to support this because..." then when the vote came out it passed 6-1. Makes you think that the public testimony is really just a pointless process as the final discussion between the BOG, F&G, the troopers and the area biologists is all that is usually talked about. Sometimes I've heard them talk about the public testimony, but it is usually just to make a quick point then the conversation quickly moves on.
    because there were only two or three of us at public testimony.. most of it was written from Anchorage as AGAINST.. being able to discuss it with the members at breaks and lunch etc is where the work gets done, and reminding a few of them, that ANC, is not in the interior, and 99% of those against it, have never been north of willow, IF they have even been out to mat-su..

meet on face book here

Now if we had a good reason to kill more grizz...........like MONEY!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Now if we had a good reason to kill more grizz...........like MONEY!
    How about save a moose?!
    BK