Thread: Surfcast sinkers. How do you connect them?

Default Surfcast sinkers. How do you connect them?

So last summer I was playing around with my surfcast set ups and was using the sinker slides like these.

I had the issue of the plastic part breaking off a couple of times during casts and I lost a couple of Frog Tongue sinkers as a result.
    So this year I am trying these nickle plated metal sinker slides. I bought a bunch of them at a reasonable price and added the connector link so I can attach my weights. The swivel rotates around the metal slide as well as its normal function in swiveling.

I like the fact that with the sinker slides I can give the fish some line if thats what they are wanting that day.
    I also like to keep my rod in a rod holder in the sand and the slide allows me to let the weight drop to the beach while I sharpen or attach hooks or bait etc. Without a weight swinging near my body.
    I am just curious how other surfcasters connect their sinkers to their mainline.
    Sinker slides? 3-Way swivels? or ???
    Also what sinkers are you using?
    I have found two types I like. The storm sinker and my all time favorite the Frog Tongue sinker.
    This is for times when I want my bait to stay stationary.
    The Frog Tongue is very aerodynamic for casting and yet digs into our sandy Beaches really really well.
    The storm sinker is like a pyramid only better and I think it would do better in the rocks. Since I primarily fish sandy beaches I prefer the Frog Tongues more often.
    I may make up some Bank sinkers for this summer and give them a try for the moving bait technique.
    So how do you rig your surfcast weights?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I just use large size snap swivels. I run the line thru the swivel eye (not the snap side) and use the snap side for attaching the sinker. That way it is easy to swap out sinker sizes when needed. Also, when breaking down to go home I can remove the sinker and leave the snap on the line thereby not having the sinker clanging on the rod.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I just use large size snap swivels. I run the line thru the swivel eye (not the snap side) and use the snap side for attaching the sinker. That way it is easy to swap out sinker sizes when needed. Also, when breaking down to go home I can remove the sinker and leave the snap on the line thereby not having the sinker clanging on the rod.
    I tried that after I had a couple of the cheaper slides break on me one day and it did work OK. I was thinking the new slides i bought would cause less line wear. Guess i will have to try them out to know for sure.
    If you ever make it up Soldotna way send me a PM and I will give you a couple of these to try and a couple of sinkers as well.

the plastic slides are great but the weight has to be lite for surf casting , [ it is plastic ] the metal ones will take the heavy weight of surfe casting
    A lot better , enjoy your surf fishing PS I look around for a flange on the metal tube ones but could not find any
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    the plastic slides are great but the weight has to be lite for surf casting , [ it is plastic ] the metal ones will take the heavy weight of surfe casting
    A lot better , enjoy your surf fishing PS I look around for a flange on the metal tube ones but could not find any
    SID
    I am finding with the Frog Tongue sinkers I can run weights a size or two smaller because they hold so well in the sand. But it is still too much for the Plastic slides.
    Especially when I fubar a cast and the bail closes and the weight instantly stops.
    I really think these metal slides will be the ticket for me.

they are a lot better for the heavy weights but I wish there was a way to flange the metal tube some it would be better I think from my point of fishing , less tangles I belive SID you will see what I mean after a few fishing trips ,

hi mate, i had the same prob casting with those sliders also, they are ok with light sinkers but anything more than 5-6oz and you wont see your sinker again. there are a few different sliders on the market, here is a few of the ones we get here in scotland, you would get them online.

20140222_194154.jpg they are hard plastic and dont break easy.
    a down side of using these sliders is when you cast a large bait out the slider and sinker runs up the line and sacrificing distance.
    a rig i would prefere to use for the same large bait would be the pully pennel. the bait is clipped down and not flapping and spinning in the air when cast and it catches just as much as the slider setup20140222_194739.jpg
    will only let me upload 2 fotos so will add more. sorry if pics not clear

20140222_194709.jpg
    20140222_194757.jpg
    adds a few more yards to your cast

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    they are a lot better for the heavy weights but I wish there was a way to flange the metal tube some it would be better I think from my point of fishing , less tangles I belive SID you will see what I mean after a few fishing trips ,
    I have yet to have serious tangle issues with the plastic sliders and they are not Tapered or flared at all.
    I think the metal ones I bought will work good for my surfcast fishing in Cook Inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by salty nuts View Post
    hi mate, i had the same prob casting with those sliders also, they are ok with light sinkers but anything more than 5-6oz and you wont see your sinker again. there are a few different sliders on the market, here is a few of the ones we get here in scotland, you would get them online.

20140222_194154.jpg they are hard plastic and dont break easy.
    a down side of using these sliders is when you cast a large bait out the slider and sinker runs up the line and sacrificing distance.
    a rig i would prefere to use for the same large bait would be the pully pennel. the bait is clipped down and not flapping and spinning in the air when cast and it catches just as much as the slider setup20140222_194739.jpg
    will only let me upload 2 fotos so will add more. sorry if pics not clear
    Thanks for the pics and the write up. If these metal ones I bought don't work then I will check into those other setups.
    In the areas I am fishing many guys get buy with plain old 8 foot salmon rods. If I loose a bit of casting distance using my longer 12 foot surfcast rods I think that I will still be able to get to where the fish are.