Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What purpose dose your "ADULT" .22 Rim Fire rifle serve........???

Default What purpose dose your "ADULT" .22 Rim Fire rifle serve........???

Yes, I know it is your multi-purpose firearm. But what is it's primary application for you......??? NOT talking about teaching children to shoot, I am looking for what you use your ADULT .22LR Rifle for.

For me at this point in my life it's primary function is only off-hand non-supported practice on paper targets or empty expired 5 gallon propane canisters. This is executed mostly with non-optic CZ-452 "ULTRA-LUX" (with it's 28.4" Barrel).

So what is your primary application for your ADULT .22 Rim Fire rifle........????

I don't use mine very often at all. I'll sometimes take it out when I'm with my nephews for birds or hares, and of course I'll plink with them when I'm at the range with them, but that's about it.

Small game hunting, practice, plinking jus for fun. My wife really loves to shoot it, as do the youngins. It's sees alot of use.

Release Lake Trout

Use in order by volume:

1) Squirrel eradication.

2) Making empty aerosol cans safe prior to disposal.

3) Harvesting an occasional grouse or hare.

4) Termination of any stray house cat that comes within range.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I use mine for spruce chickens and rabbit. I am actually wanting to experiment with using it on geese this fall...longer distance shooting, head shots. If that is legal.

Occasionally Spruce hen and rabbits.
    Plinking at the range just because it is fun and relatively cheap to shoot. Especially when compared to my other guns.
    I do enjoy shooting it while my stepson shoots his at the range.
    If needed it would handle stray cats or possibly dogs.
    It is easy to pack my .22 pistol while snowmachine riding in case I see the occasional Ptarmagin ( last time I tried I missed all three shots).
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Target shooting is still number one. I shoot more .22 pistol than anything and I find that the practice helps me maintain good sight picture discipline...translates well to my centerfire pistols. Empty cans, the occasional grouse or ptarmigan, suppressed fire off the deck in the summer...always fun.

When in DLG it (or my 22 mag) was always in the boat, snogo or truck for grouse and ptarmigan. My Ruger 9622 is my most accurate gun at 100 yds so I would use that for practice shooting a scoped gun as well.

My favorite is my Henry Golden Boy in 22 lr. It's extremely accurate but most importantly it's heft is similar to my 30 30 so I can shoot it for practice with opens and a lever for pennies instead of burning up extremely hard to find (at the moment) 30 30 ammo. PS... AGL you got any 30 30 in 170 grain sittin around in the ammo stash? (note I didn't say hoard)

Mine are used primarily for hunting small game. Rarely do I target shoot with them as most target shooting is done with center fire and cast bullets. I frequently use a scoped Ruger MKI for hunting small game instead of a rifle. The one 22 rifle that still sees frequent use is a Savage OU 22/410. Since the 22 shortage I have gone to using a Win 92 in 25/20 with cast more often than a 22.

Sorry I do NOT have any 30-30 ammo. My leaver gun is 45LC model 92.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    PS... AGL you got any 30 30 in 170 grain sittin around in the ammo stash? (note I didn't say hoard)

Remington 597 topped with 3 x 9 Redfield scope for hares, spuce hens, ptarmigan and nuisance squirrels.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Squirrels, hares, ptarmigan, spruce hens, off hand practice. Not always in the order listed.

I like to small game hunt with mine. I do a little recreational shooting but more hunting than anything else.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Mine, the Marlin 60, is for Bear Protection, and Tactical Preparedness.

Hunting is sooo, passe, what with the environmental movement and Climate Changes to be concerned with.

Who makes those Weaver Bases, that fit the grooves on a 22 rifle? I've seen them in Ads in the Magazines but can't find'em when I need'em.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Yes, I know it is your multi-purpose firearm. But what is it's primary application for you......??? NOT talking about teaching children to shoot, I am looking for what you use your ADULT .22LR Rifle for.
    No use at all. None. Other than a general state of preparedness. But pretty much anytime any .22 is shot, kids are involved. Why not?

But even with kid-applications being my only need of that round, I find myself presently in the market looking to buy another .22 bolt action rifle for a young new hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Mine, the Marlin 60, is for Bear Protection, and Tactical Preparedness.

Hunting is sooo, passe, what with the environmental movement and Climate Changes to be concerned with.

Who makes those Weaver Bases, that fit the grooves on a 22 rifle? I've seen them in Ads in the Magazines but can't find'em when I need'em.

SOTN
    OK, I found the right search phrase.

"Weaver Style bases for grooved receivers".

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Spring and early Summer sage rat shooting by the 100's, occasionally a badger too

Default What purpose dose your "ADULT" .22 Rim Fire rifle serve........???

Used for all the above plus on the trap line and it very quiet with a can. It is also good on the boat for those unruly 50 lb halibut. 22 mag for predator hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Mine serves the purpose of SHOOTING!!!

It's great just to shoot. No other purpose, although sure I can take it for small game and would live some rabbit to eat. Even though it's hard to find, 22lr is still way cheaper than anything else I have.

I wish I could still shoot 9mm for $8 a box. But at the end of the day, if go to the range and can only shoot a box of two of 9mm and maybe a box of -06, as long as I can shoot 50-100 rds of 22 I am pretty darn happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

For me at this point in my life it's primary function is only off-hand non-supported practice on paper targets or empty expired 5 gallon propane canisters. This is executed mostly with non-optic CZ-452 "ULTRA-LUX" (with it's 28.4" Barrel).

So what is your primary application for your ADULT .22 Rim Fire rifle........????
    Now, to give your post PROPER consideration.

The most useful purpose of an "ADULT 22 LR" is for inexpensive practice, specifically OFF-HAND practice. An Adult sized 22 LR that perhaps closely resembles your Hunting Rifle is the wisest choice.

Instead Of,,,,, Trying to convince yerself that a 22 LR is unnecessary for your purposes, you should admit your mistake in selling off all your 22 LR ammunition, and begin hoarding it again, as fast as you can. THEN, buy one of the "Platforms" that fires 22 LR.

It will help you learn to shoot your center fire platforms better at less cost. (Hopefully at less cost)

Not only, will you be "Gun Guy" Correct, but you will have the skills to dispatch Grouchy Brown Bears, with fewer 223 caliber shots than before, which will add to your already distinguished, or perhaps, notorious, reputation.

I'm glad I could help.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast