Thread: Alaska Board of Game Proposals

Default Alaska Board of Game Proposals

Curious to see if anyone has anything they'd like to see passed/changed...

The Alaska Board of Game calls for proposed changes in the regulations pertaining to hunting, trapping, and the use of game for the following regions. PROPOSAL DEADLINE: 5:00 p.m. May 1, 2014:

1. Southeast (Game Management Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 5);
    2. Southcentral (Game Management Units 6, 7, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16); and
    3. Central/Southwest (Game Management Units 8, 9, 10, 17).

Might be better placed in the game mgmt sub-forum, but I figure this will get more visibility in the general forum.

What is the process to submit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    What is the process to submit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fill out this form.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...sal&board=game
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

After this last BOG meeting, I am starting to think we are all wasting our time with the BOG.

The Homer F&G advisory council will be holding an informal proposal writing workshop for interested members of the public at the Homer library meeting room on March 20th from 5-7 pm.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

So I am curious and I throw this out for you old salty dogs that have graced this state alot longer than I. If everyone is so upset with the way the BOG handles or doesn't handle the issues brought before them, then why can't they be replaced? The president can get impeached for screwing up and making bad decisions, why can't the BOG be overthrown? Does a state wide petition need to be done and sent to the governor? I am just wondering cause there are numerous posts whining and complaining but yet I don't ever hear of anyone doing anything about it. Just Saying!

I believe you'll have to get the Gov to replace the BOG!

BOG is a very thankless job with very limited authority and I take my hat off to those folks. I don't always agree with them either nor do I know their underlying motivation but they do try to apply due diligence to complex issues sometimes submitted by those with self-serving interests.

A good many proposals are mis-directed IMO........many belong in the Legislature or with DNR and therein lies another problem as sportsmen just don't unite and lobby well......ya gotta buy some whiskey in Juneau.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter4811 View Post
    So I am curious and I throw this out for you old salty dogs that have graced this state alot longer than I. If everyone is so upset with the way the BOG handles or doesn't handle the issues brought before them, then why can't they be replaced? The president can get impeached for screwing up and making bad decisions, why can't the BOG be overthrown? Does a state wide petition need to be done and sent to the governor? I am just wondering cause there are numerous posts whining and complaining but yet I don't ever hear of anyone doing anything about it. Just Saying!
    Perhaps the BOG don't know anyone's upset!! A little read for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom L View Post
    Not exactly. Actually, I want the public process to work.

In order for that to happen, all interested people need to participate. During the last several BOG meetings, there has been a bit of a disconnect from what I (and several other ADF&G staff) read on the forums compared to what I(we) observe at the board meetings. Granted, I haven't attended ALL public testimony at ALL meetings but by and large, there don't appear to be a lot of resident sheep hunters that make the time to give public testimony.

The groups that consistently have an effect on the board's decisions are the groups that consistently show up in large numbers to provide testimony.

And, not to be snarky, but ADF&G is not part of DNR. We're our own department with a separate, constitutionally mandated, mission.

I'm planning to attend the forum gathering on the 25th in Eagle River and will be happy to answer questions then.

Tom Lohuis

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    I believe you'll have to get the Gov to replace the BOG
    Wow! What a great idea!!! It being a election year the right pressures might even have an effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    ...with very limited authority
    REALLY!! Are you kidding!!!
    The BOG has ALL the authority, and it currently sits in the chair's seat. Never before this board have we had so many department proposals "at the request of the board", nor in the past has the department been so wishy-washy with their A&R's. 10 years ago the idea that the department would be "neutral, we consider this an allocation issue" on 80-90% of the game proposals would be unheard of. Now it is the norm.
    i swear, under current dogma there could be three critters left, and the departments opinion (admin, not boots-on-the-ground biologists) would be it was an allocation issue about which guide gets to kill the extra animal.
    Bear in mind, when I refer to "the department" i do NOT mean our bio's, I mean the administration that seems to answer to the BOG.
    the system is SUPPOSED to be that proposals are generated by the department, AC's, and the public. THEN they go before the BOG. Look it up, that's how it is described.
    Lately it has been the tail wagging the dog.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter4811 View Post
    well they can be, however like the BOG meetings, no one shows up to testify for the appointment when the legislator asks for support or not. The GOV will appoint someone, and the Legislator has to confirm them. if there is no public input, those that do ... GET..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'd like to know who many of the ones who whine about the BOG actually participate in the process; either in writing or in person. A few years ago I was involved in opposing an animal rights initiative. I had the opportunity to talk to many hunters, and trappers. I could not believe how many of them weren't even registered voters -at least half by their own admission. It's no wonder we have no voice. If you don't participate in the process, quit your whining.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I'd like to know who many of the ones who whine about the BOG actually participate in the process; either in writing or in person. A few years ago I was involved in opposing an animal rights initiative. I had the opportunity to talk to many hunters, and trappers. I could not believe how many of them weren't even registered voters -at least half by their own admission. It's no wonder we have no voice. If you don't participate in the process, quit your whining.
    True dat. Rep sent.

Default Yes. Vote down waterfowl proposals 151-155

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Curious to see if anyone has anything they'd like to see passed/changed...

The Alaska Board of Game calls for proposed changes in the regulations pertaining to hunting, trapping, and the use of game for the following regions. PROPOSAL DEADLINE: 5:00 p.m. May 1, 2014:

1. Southeast (Game Management Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 5);
    2. Southcentral (Game Management Units 6, 7, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16); and
    3. Central/Southwest (Game Management Units 8, 9, 10, 17).

Might be better placed in the game mgmt sub-forum, but I figure this will get more visibility in the general forum.
    Waterfowl proposals 151-155 are misguided as usual. Let the waterfowl managers do their job

Quote Originally Posted by bucksducks View Post
    Waterfowl proposals 151-155 are misguided as usual. Let the waterfowl managers do their job
    yep, we shot those down.