Thread: Good starter bow for my girlfriend??

Default Good starter bow for my girlfriend??

My girlfriend has expressed some interest in taking up archery, which I am thrilled with! I have only been bowhunting for 5 years now, and don't know a lot about shopping for a new bow so I'm looking for any input on good starter bows for small frame/ female archers. She is pretty nervous about poundage, so ideally we could start her on a bow that has a wide adjustable draw weight range so she could get comfortable shooting at 35-40 lbs and work her way up to 45-50+ to start hunting. Don't have a huge budget right now. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

You in Fairbanks? Stop by precision archery (fast I think he's leaving town on March 15!) he got me set up could probaly help you out.

I would take her to an indoor archery range and rent/ use the bows they have to determine what she should start out with and if she even wants to pursue the activity beyond that day. As for purchasing a compound bow , Diamond bows have the largest variance in draw weights that allows someone to grow using the same bow. You may be able to find one pre owned if you look in the right places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

there's a good bow on craigslist or Eielson for sale right now that would be the cats meow for her! I just saw it the other day forget what one it was.

even better...it was on here where I saw it.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hery-equipment!

Awesome, thanks for the input everyone. Taking her to a range is probably a good first move to make sure she is actually serious!

even if she's not uber serious, you wont regret getting here out once in awhile. Just becareful she may out shoot you and hadn't touched a bow in years....quite the humbling day lol.

I just got my lady a Mission Craze by Mathews.
    The draw weight is 15#-70# and the draw length is 19"-30".
    Pretty nice bow from what I can see. Ind if mine breaks down I'll have a pink backup!

My wife shoots a Bear, I forget the model, but it was pink camo of course. Draw weight goes from 25-50 and she shoots it very well. She's very small framed.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Hoyt jewel is best female bow out. If your in anchorage go see the guys down at full curl.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Diamonds, bowtech infinite edge.

Perfect for her.
    13 1/2" draw all the way up to a 30" draw,

5 pounds to 73 pound draw weight. Small very versatile and extremely accurate.

Southeast_fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivoraCounter View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the input everyone. Taking her to a range is probably a good first move to make sure she is actually serious!
    you're right in that the first thing to do is make sure you heard her correctly...watched a "Rocky" movie once with my wife and afterwards she mentioned how it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. i heard "Rocky is the greatest movie ever" and then got her the entire collection for her birthday. come to find out that wasn't what she wanted after all.