Thread: winchester xp3 for a 325 wsm

Default winchester xp3 for a 325 wsm

I've been lurking and reading posts on this forum for quite some time, and figured I should join in on the fun. This is my first post, so bare with me. I just acquired a browning a bolt ii chambered in 325 wsm. I think its going to be my new goat and black bear rifle! When I bought the rifle (used from a friend) I got 5 boxes of Winchester xp3's. They shoot great out to 400 yards....I guess my question is has anyone had any experience with the xp3? I'm sure I will shoot a few blacktails with it as well and im a bit concerned they will open up on such light animals. I do reload and have 200 grain accubonds on order, but I would like to use the 5 boxes of xp3's. Thanks for the information guys!

I used the same cartridge on a caribou a few years ago. Went through both rib cages. That meat was shot out pretty bad, but it certainly didn't blow a gaping hole through it or anything. I liked the gun, but ammo was way to hard to come by and I don't reload, so I sold it after only a year.

Heck I use regular old 200gr Speer hot-cor's. I need to chrono the load but it shoots flat out to 400yds. So I wouldn't hesitate to use the ammo you have what weight are they 200, 225?

The xp3's are 200 grain....I've seen these for sale quite a few places, but never heard much about performance. Maybe too new a product? I would have liked it if the gun came with accubonds instead, but beggars cant be choosers...

The XP3 is a great bullet- probably tougher than I'd pick for a deer but shouldn't be much of an issue. If the gun likes them, I wouldn't be inclined to experiment much more and I doubt you'd ever recover one from a goat or a black bear either. I've shot a couple of caribou with them and they did just fine and I wouldn't hesitate to poke anything up here with one.

I also like the Accubond, I've get excellent accuracy and I've also had reliable results on game with them.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

oakman, what was the distance you shot the caribou? My main concern is the darn thing not opening up on a goat or deer around 2-300 yards.

My favorite caliber bar none. But ammo availability is an issue. I shoot the nosler 200 accubonds with great results. If you reload take a look at the 200 barnes.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Nice to see others having success with this caliber! I am a bit nervous to shoot a little blacktail with the thing, but I don't see why it wouldn't be a wonderful cartridge for just about everything else up here!

I shot my Wyoming pronghorn with it using the 200 accubonds. 220 yard shot through the lungs. As you would expect it dropped like a stone but really didnt do that much damage.

That's the kind of performance I would like to see! As soon as my accubonds show up, I will have to start working up a load!

Caribou shot was about 90 yards.

I have a .300 win mag that i shot some of those winchester xp3s. I killed a few elk with them and to be honest i am not very fond of them they didn't mushroom at all they just stretched out. I shot one elk through the shoulder at a 150 yards and i found the bullet in the hide on the other side of the animal just stretched out to about an inch and a half. I have had very bad luck with them. I have never been able to hold a steady group at 100 yards with these rounds while sighting in my rifle. But that is just my opinion on them.

well, that's good to know. Ive heard others saying they may not open up, but its good to hear some actual accounts.

Sorry guys, I see now this should have been posted in the shooting forum. I'll do better to keep things more organized next time....

Quote Originally Posted by Juneau07 View Post
    Sorry guys, I see now this should have been posted in the shooting forum. I'll do better to keep things more organized next time....
    Lol. If we kept this forum to only "hunting specific questions" or responses it would be very quiet.

Sarcasm removed, your question is in the right spot.