Thread: moving AMMO?

Default moving AMMO?

I have heard all the horror stories of the issues with firearms but what about ammo? I have a fairly large supply of ammo and will be making the move soon. What can anyone share with me about ferrying ammo and about taking large amounts through canada?

Thanks for the help
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Premium Member

There is a round count limit, though I can't remember how many. It's on the website somewhere. I think I had five or six cases of mixed stuff.

When I did it last year, it was rather easy, but then I had lots of rifles to catch their attention. I labelled each box with the number of rounds, and gave them a piece of paper with the total. Easy. But then they found my empty holster for the handgun I had shipped up separately, and the discussion veered off.

For all the rest of the ammo, I palletized it at a shipper, and they hauled it up. Even easier.

When I crossed the borders December they asked if had firearms said yes they said pull over come inside I filled out paperwork paid the 25 bucks and hauled ass. They didn't ask if I had ammo and I didn't say I did but I had 4,000 rds of ammo in the explorer. I counted it all wrote on the box the number. If they didn't ask I wasn't going to volunteer information. I'm sure someone will pipe in I'm telling me I'm lucky I'm not sitting in jail.

the max rounds you can take is 5,000 rounds. And no green tip ammo

5000, really, I guess i will be going with a shipper! That stinks, I really wanted to keep it with me.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

You could take the ferry out of Bellingham to Whittier and skip going thru Canada and carry all of your guns and ammo with you and not worry about the hassle at the border.

I was just inquiring with Canada about the same thing, I want my Father to bring back a load of ammo for me this spring when he comes back to AK. Here is the reply email I got:

Information on importing ammunition into Canada is accessible from the "Fact Sheets" section of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's Canada Firearms Centre (CFC) Web site at:
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...porter-eng.htm

Information on importing firearms and ammunition into Canada is accessible in the guide BSF5044, Importing a Firearm or Weapon into Canada, which is located on the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Web site at:
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5044-eng.html

Non-residents of Canada may import, for personal use, the following quantities of ammunition duty free:

• 200 rounds for hunting purposes; or
    • 1500 rounds for use at a recognized competition.

The total quantities of ammunition that may be imported for personal use and not for sale, without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:

• small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
    • primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
    • empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
    • propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4 kilograms and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).

Please note that ammunition in excess of the duty free amounts listed above will be assessed duties and taxes where applicable.

You can make arrangements to import larger quantities through a Canadian shooting association, committee or federation for team practice and competition at meets. For information on permits to import quantities of ammunition in excess of those mentioned above or for the purposes of sale, contact:

Explosives Regulatory Division
    Natural Resources Canada
    580 Booth Road
    Ottawa ON K2E 1B9
    Telephone: 613-948-5200
    Fax: 613-948-5195
    E-mail: canmet-erd@nrcan.gc.ca
    Web site: www.nrcan.gc.ca

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency

This was all the same info I got from reading the various websites. What I don't understand is that people on various forums say the limit is 5000K rounds and it is but it would appear that you will have to pay a duty (that may be refundable at the other end of the trip). How many people who have brought 5000 rounds back have had to pay the duty? and how many got it back? How much of a hassle was the whole thing. My Dad is well aware of the "if they don't ask, don't volunteer" procedure and he will probably be fine, but I don't want him to have to deal with a big hassle.

2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    What I don't understand is that people on various forums say the limit is 5000K rounds and it is but it would appear that you will have to pay a duty (that may be refundable at the other end of the trip). How many people who have brought 5000 rounds back have had to pay the duty? and how many got it back? How much of a hassle was the whole thing. My Dad is well aware of the "if they don't ask, don't volunteer" procedure and he will probably be fine, but I don't want him to have to deal with a big hassle.

Somewhere else it states that if you are transiting to Alaska, and can prove it, they waive the duty. That's what I did, and duty never was levied.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    You could take the ferry out of Bellingham to Whittier and skip going thru Canada and carry all of your guns and ammo with you and not worry about the hassle at the border.
    Ammo limit on the ferry is 65 pounds. Black powder is prohibited.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

So I will add a bit of info. We have been planning on our return to Alaska after 20 months of mistake!! Had a lot of questions answered on other forums. BUT, got caught a bit off guard today. I picked up my enclosed trailer and was visiting with the salesman. He told me a story of how his son drove into Canada and upon his return to the US, they asked about ammo which he had and the US border confiscated all of it. Now, I don't know what else may have happened but this got my attention!! He said it was about 10 years ago. I am planning on calling the US border tomorrow. We pull out 1 week from tomorrow!!!!
    EricL

About seven years ago the max ammo they allowed to cross Hover Dam was 500 rounds
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Ammo limit on the ferry is 65 pounds. Black powder is prohibited.
    That is troubling as well. Can anyone tell me what my options would be to move larger quantities?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Call a freight company.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist