Thread: .375 Ruger load help

Default .375 Ruger load help

I just aquired a .375 Ruger Alaskan am I'm trying to load some 300 grain TSX's, but all I have for powder is a couple jugs of H4350. I don't have a Barnes manual and can't seem to find any data for this combo online, can anyone help me out?

Marshall?

THANKS!!

Hodgen data for 300 Gr Hornady work up to velocity with your Bullet.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

I'd start with around 74 grains of H4350 and work up in .5 increments until you get close to max around 77 and then work up in .1. You'll probably max out someplace between 78 and 79. I use RE17 and it has a similar burn rate as 4350. My 375 ruger likes max loads the best. I'm shooting 80 grains of RE17 using 300 grain Nosler Accubond but I think the Barns will run a little higher pressures.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Thanks OKELK, that's what I needed just somewhere to start. I am fairly new to this reloading stuff and I was worried about the length of the TSX and powder compression issues.....

Any other tips or suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks again

The only other thing would be to adjust the COL. The two Ruger Alaskan rifles I have reloaded for did not really care what length the bullet was. They were about an inch MOA at 100 yards with the right powder charge of RL15 and a 270g TSX. Other guns, COL makes a big difference.

No 4350 load in the Barnes manual...

Attachment 76933

Grab the image if you want it for reference. I'll delete it after awhile because my allowable space is limited.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Nothing in the Barns book data for H4350.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Ha, beat me and my dumb phone didn't show you till I posted. I'll leave mine if you are killing yours.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHED View Post
    "I was worried about the length of the TSX and powder compression issues....."

Any other tips or suggestions would be welcome!
    You'll probably start compressing around 78 or 79 grains with the longer barnes bullets. My 80 grain RE17 load is a 100% capacity load with the Nosler Accubonds. I made a dummy round and charred the bullet to get my seating depth; found out that the magazine is shorter than my max seating depth so I seat my bullets out so that they just fit the magazine and don't have any COL or feeding issues. You'll have to experiment with the Barnes, but I think you'll probably be able to seat them out so they just fit the magazine, as well.
    Also, I am using CCI LMR 250 primers.
    Here's a good post from shooting times that has some load data: http://www.loaddata.com/articles/PDF...nt2LowRes1.pdf
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

PM sent. I'm away from home but I have good data on COAL with the 300gr TSX in the 375 Ruger. I also believe you will be in the 76-80gr range and the long TSX will run into powder compression prior to over pressure with H-4350.

By the way, don't waste your time with 0.1gr charge increases as mentioned. Your target velocity will be about 2660fps. A 0.1gr increase of charge will only net about 3 fps, that is a waste of time and resources...

I like to step up in 1% velocity adjustments. That would be a charge that would bump you about 26 fps at a time. A quick guess would be about .8gr increments in your testing. Something like 76.0, 76.8, 77.6, 78.4, 79.2, 80.0, 80.4, 80.8. If you run into compression or pressure issues don't shoot the higher loads, just take them apart.

Use COAL 3.347" in your Ruger. Assuming Ruger uses reamers of the same dimensions throughout their production process that will put you at .075" off the lands with the 300gr TSX. That length worked very well in my 375 Ruger with that bullet.