Thread: Semi-Custom .375 h&h

Default Semi-Custom .375 h&h

So, I'm building a semi-custom LH .375 h&h for a 2015 Kodiak bear hunt. It's a LH Win Model 70. I'm tossing the stock and putting a McMillan. The questions are:

1. Do I cut it from 24" to 22"? Why/why not?
    2. Do I Cerakote or Duracoat? Why/why not?

Thanks in advance for the input.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I can't speak to the coats but were I cutting a barrel (which I have) I'd take it to 20 and get some handling benefit. Four is better than two in this scenario and is unlikely to have noticed effect by your or the animal on accuracy or noise. I chopped my 338 and put open sights on it, then got quick detach rings and I am good to go.

When I proposed this several years ago several folks gasped at cutting a gun so short, after a few marches in the alders they admitted some serious rifle envy between the short barrel and the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post

When I proposed this several years ago several folks gasped at cutting a gun so short, after a few marches in the alders they admitted some serious rifle envy between the short barrel and the sights.
    I agree, when your putting out 4000+ lb-ft. At the muzzle, loosing 4 inches isn't going to matter much. It's even less if an issue (potentially) if your hand loading and can shoot a little faster powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like cerakote, have a couple rifles cerakoted, to me it's more durable, it is however more costly than duracoat because of the process. My buddy does his own duracoating and he prefers the cerakote. The dark titanium gray cerakote is the nicest color I've seen so far.

Hey Romo, I did the same thing awhile back, I took my MK-V .375 H&H Wby. SS Synthetic, and made my own DGR Rifle.
    And this is how It's done;
    1st--- Had it re-Chambered to .375 Wdy. -[you can still shoot .375 H&H, you just end up with a "Fire" formed case.]- I shoot .375 Wby. ammo most of the time.
    2nd--- Had the barrel cut to 22" with a recessed crown, and turned-down the contour, from the front of the stock forward.
    3rd--- Installed a Barrel-Band Ruger style front sight assembly, then had it Mag-Na-Ported, Two-[2]- thru the barrel band, and the 2nd Two-[2]- ports back and below.
    4th--- Installed "WARN" quick re-lease Rings and Bases, to the Action and the Leupold VXIII-1.5-5x20mm w/G#4 reticle, Glass.
    5th--- Ordered the "Ghost-Ring" rear sight aperture, that fits the "WARN" rear base mount, for the up-close and personnel work.
    6th--- also ordered from Weatherby, their "Drop-Box" magazine adder, so now i'm 4+1, Get-er-done.
    Oh-yea,,, Glass-Bed the action in the Wby. Syn. Stock, and most of the Gun is Stainless.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    The German

I'll take two boxes of H&H over one box wby everytime. Twenty inch is plenty and good sights. Truth be told your wood and blue work just fine also. Use money saved for good boots or pack or raingear.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My 416 taylor is 22" and I think is a great balance for handling. I have a leupold 1.5-5x on it and I leave it on lowest power while marching around. The 1.5x with good flip caps is a seriously great setup because you can leave both eyes open and still see the crosshairs. For a quick and close situation, I think acquisition is even faster than iron sights. My opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Hey Romo, I did the same thing awhile back, I took my MK-V .375 H&H Wby. SS Synthetic, and made my own DGR Rifle.
    And this is how It's done;
    1st--- Had it re-Chambered to .375 Wdy. -[you can still shoot .375 H&H, you just end up with a "Fire" formed case.]- I shoot .375 Wby. ammo most of the time.
    2nd--- Had the barrel cut to 22" with a recessed crown, and turned-down the contour, from the front of the stock forward.
    3rd--- Installed a Barrel-Band Ruger style front sight assembly, then had it Mag-Na-Ported, Two-[2]- thru the barrel band, and the 2nd Two-[2]- ports back and below.
    4th--- Installed "WARN" quick re-lease Rings and Bases, to the Action and the Leupold VXIII-1.5-5x20mm w/G#4 reticle, Glass.
    5th--- Ordered the "Ghost-Ring" rear sight aperture, that fits the "WARN" rear base mount, for the up-close and personnel work.
    6th--- also ordered from Weatherby, their "Drop-Box" magazine adder, so now i'm 4+1, Get-er-done.
    Oh-yea,,, Glass-Bed the action in the Wby. Syn. Stock, and most of the Gun is Stainless.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    The German
    I would love to shoot this gun!!

You will have to post pictures when your done! I would like to see how your finish comes out.

Up-date Post here,,,, with some photos of my -[AK375DGR]- Build, that I referenced here on 2-18. There are a few up-grades that I've done, that are not in that original post, so I'll the Photo do the Talking. Enjoy, I know I will. !!!
    The German

Attachment 78204
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Don't want to hijack the thread but how long did you have to wait for the McMillan? I placed order four months ago, just hoping for an early arrival lol

thought it was a left handed action?

Looks great! love the vx series leupold on my .375 h&h

Significant vel loss for a 375 H&H starts at barrel lengths shorter than 20" based on serial chrono's from 30" with barrel shortened 1" at at a time and then same load rechronographed.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"