Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass boat repair help

Default Fiberglass boat repair help

Well given that spring time is vastly approaching I decided to go out and start looking the boat over. I knew that I had some scratches that needed to be fixed from loading and unloading but upon further inspection I noticed that it was a lot worse than I had thought. For someone who has no fiberglass experience would this job be something that I should tackle or leave to the professionals. 20140217_210309.jpg20140217_210253.jpg

Joe,
    they are only mere scratches !! Easy fix go over to Fiberlay 274-5505 in town tell Duane i sent ya and tell him you have some scratches in the gelcote you want to fill in. He'll set up up with the right stuff and tell you how to do it. Clean up the loose stuff, fill with thickened gelcote, sand, fair and buff out, you'll never know they were there.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

thanks Steve, I will give them a call. Good to know that it should be a small job, I hope

Fiberglass is easy to repair. I repaired a bunch of the scratches on a boat I had, it was cake. I was pretty proud of myself after it was done.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    thanks Steve, I will give them a call. Good to know that it should be a small job, I hope
    They are behind Guido's Pizza on International. If ya need any help just holler.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Fiberglass is easy to repair. I repaired a bunch of the scratches on a boat I had, it was cake. I was pretty proud of myself after it was done.
    BK
    and BK is a engineer so how hard can it be I think the Boss did it and your just taking the credit for it !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Shhhhhhh......don't want her to know I took credit for all her hard work.

BK

Plus 2 for Fiberlay.

They are in the strip mall next to C street

Fiberlay.jpg
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

If you want to match the color contact the boat maker they have color match gelcoat kits. I get them all the time for repairs on boats I do for customers. Just so you know I think there are 100 plus colors of white being used. If you have questions PM me. It will make you feel good to fix it
    Well given that spring time is vastly approaching I decided to go out and start looking the boat over. I knew that I had some scratches that needed to be fixed from loading and unloading but upon further inspection I noticed that it was a lot worse than I had thought. For someone who has no fiberglass experience would this job be something that I should tackle or leave to the professionals. 20140217_210309.jpg20140217_210253.jpg

I worked my dad's tub over to fill in a lot of dock gouges. A couple of tips. I used blue masking tape to define the area I am working, it helps define the area so you don't end up doing the entire hull. Make sure the gel coat is the thick stuff, should look like pudding. The runny stuff will work but you end up doing several coats for deeper gouges. And finally, use a heavy saran wrap to cover the repair to eliminate air. For some reason, it remains tacky if left to dry on its own. I used a rubber ink roller (the kind used to lay out ink on glass for finger prints) to smooth the saran wrap over the area. The smoother you finish it at this point, the less sanding later on.

One thing else, my dad's boat had a blue stripe. Remember to buff out the area before you try to match the color.
    All paradise rests in the shadow of swords." ~K. Yates

[QUOTE=Delta Tenderfoot;1368958]I worked my dad's tub over to fill in a lot of dock gouges. A couple of tips. I used blue masking tape to define the area I am working, it helps define the area so you don't end up doing the entire hull. Make sure the gel coat is the thick stuff, should look like pudding. The runny stuff will work but you end up doing several coats for deeper gouges. And finally, use a heavy saran wrap to cover the repair to eliminate air. For some reason, it remains tacky if left to dry on its own. I used a rubber ink roller (the kind used to lay out ink on glass for finger prints) to smooth the saran wrap over the area. The smoother you finish it at this point, the less sanding later on.

ya got to add wax to the final coat of gelcote so it won't stay tacky.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

would a keel guard help prevent this? and if so are keel guards good to put on ocean boats.

would a keel guard help prevent this? and if so are keel guards good to put on ocean boats.
    Keel guards are alright on ocean boats; if you can get them to stay put and not peel off. It's more popular here to beef up the keel with extra layers of glass for running up on beaches.

Off topic a bit, but anyone know the best source of Nida Core?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Off topic a bit, but anyone know the best source of Nida Core?
    I think i heard rumor they were going to quit making it but Fiberlay has their own brand its called Cana-Core and plaschem has the generic brand called plasticore. What are you going to do with it ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Put slush tanks in my boat. Was thinking 2" Nida Core and making 30x30x40d tanks and using the nomar slush bags.

Put slush tanks in my boat. Was thinking 2" Nida Core and making 30x30x40d tanks and using the nomar slush bags.
    If your glassing in fish holds why do you need slush bags ??? Double cost. Just do a good job glassing in watertight fish holds. I did that in my bowpicker but i used 2" roof insulating foam that i glass in, worked fine and that foam is cheap compared to nida core. I think they quoted me $120 a sheet 4x8 for Cana-Core at Fiberlay in Anchorage. I bought a sheet of 1" roof foam for less than 30 bucks in town.
    3 bin fish hold.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    If your glassing in fish holds why do you need slush bags ??? Double cost. Just do a good job glassing in watertight fish holds. I did that in my bowpicker but i used 2" roof insulating foam that i glass in, worked fine and that foam is cheap compared to nida core. I think they quoted me $120 a sheet 4x8 for Cana-Core at Fiberlay in Anchorage. I bought a sheet of 1" roof foam for less than 30 bucks in town.
    3 bin fish hold.jpg
    I misspoke. I meant to say brailer bag, not slush bag. Did you do glass over plywood, and then insulate with the foam?

I misspoke. I meant to say brailer bag, not slush bag. Did you do glass over plywood, and then insulate with the foam?
    No plywood all foam in the fish hold, the blue board on the hatch covers was glued on with contact cement and only for insulation.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Roger that. Any issues with the resin melting the blue board?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast