Thread: Shotgun chokes again!

Default Shotgun chokes again!

What is the best shotgun choke for shooting 00 buck? I have a friend who raises sheep and he is having trouble with a couple of dogs. Will my old 870 smooth bore slug gun do well with 00 buck?

Lotta play with 00 for coyote bapping in my calling days. It varies with the gun, but most of mine did best with either MOD or IC. CYL is only so-so unless you're loading your own shells and doing a lot of load development.

In truth, we settled on #4 Buck for yodel pups. Those kill well with only a few hits to at least 75 yards. Best of all, with #4 Buck you can get some really tight patterns using FULL chokes.

Even with our best loads and chokes, we couldn't get reliable hits to 40 yards with 00. But with #4 Buck and FULL in a gun that really liked it, we could put 3 or 4 pellets in a yote all the way out to around 70 yards. And that was enough to stop them in their tracks, toasting most with no need for a followup. Dogs will die even easier I bet.

Just out of curiosity, what range are you talking? BrownBear made a lot of sense, I was just curious if you had a range in mind? I personally tend to think of 00 with cyl as an "under 10 yds" load.

I shot a ton of coyotes with a 10ga and 12ga both full choke shooting 4 buck - much better choice than 00 IMO... 75 - 100 yards is in the wheel house most of the time....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yep 4 buck is the ticket. I think it is 42 pellets of 24 caliber moving @ 1300fps and with a full choke it smokes out there a ways.

Mobius; I don't know on the distance I was just going to loan the fella one of my scatterguns and some shells. I have always and forever shot coyotes with a rifle. Shotguns were for pheasants. i'm an old foggy now and have to admit that I have very little experience with buckshot of any size.

I have a full choke model 37 Ithaca around here somewhere and I went to the farm store and got a box of #4 buck! I'll take it to him tomorrow. He's says that they are very skittish dogs. I say they're coyote cross. We are getting a whole lot of them around here that look more like a farm dog than a coyote. However it's breeding season and when you see them paired up a mile off the road then they need killed regardless of what they look like.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have a full choke model 37 Ithaca around here somewhere and I went to the farm store and got a box of #4 buck!
    Sounds just right if they're in "shotgun" range. Further out, a bolt for sitting shots or semi if they're making dust.

At work our shotgun is the 870 with either 18" or 20" cyl bore barrels. I have patterened several of these guns and most will shoot 9" to 12" patterens with 00buck at 25yds. These guns have all had the Vang process done to them which seems to improve patterns quite a bit. Putting all the pellets on a b27 target at 25yds is easy even with the cyl bore and if you can't do that rapidly at 15yds you don't pass quals. If I were going to use a shotgun on yotes it would be with #4buck a full choke and the Vang process. This should make it very capable to 80/100yds or so.

Get a Carlson's or Kicks dead coyote choke tube they work and have very tight chokes.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you