Thread: Delta Backcountry

Default Delta Backcountry

Hey everybody,

My friend and I are new the the backcountry scene in the interior, and we were wondering if anyone had some advice on where to go. I've heard of some good stuff down by Delta, but am uncertain where to start. Any advice or guidance would be awesome! Thanks!

Where and for what purpose.....a lot of varying terrain here.

Sorry about that, should've clarified. Looking for some areas to do maybe a long day or overnight ski tour. I've heard there was some great terrain south of Delta (Casner Glacier area I think I heard?) but I'm just not familiar enough with the area at all and am unsure where to start. I'm currently in Fairbanks.

Canwell/Castner/Miller Creek area is very popular for ski touring......Fairbanks club frequents the area....usually see a car or two parked there....Nice area! Avoid Summit Lake & Hoodoos as snowmobiles are a hazard there.

Good luck!

If you are new to touring, try the White Mountains for starters. The trails have cabins, you can do a loop. If you are talking more Alpine touring than Nordic. You should have and be familiar with avalanche beacons, probes and shovels for rescuing your partner. Alaska or Brooks Range will require you have a beacon. Gets worse the farther South you go (most years)...Nordic touring in the Interior is fantastic in the Spring, or Mid Feb on...head into one of the hot springs or numerous trails to cabins....