Thread: How is bear meat?

Default How is bear meat?

Living in northern southeast Alaska, we have plenty of brown bears here; but no black bears where I am at. There is a lot of brown bear hunting that takes place here but only the skull/hide/claws etc. are harvested. I don't know anyone who eats brown bear. I know a lot of black bear hunters (If not most?) harvest all of the above plus the meat. I have heard black bear is actually very good meat, while brown bear is pretty unpalatable. Just curious on what you all think about bear meat (black bear, or brown if you have tried it!), since I have no experience with it. Thanks!

Black bear is excellent if they aren't eating fish. Get them on the berries and it is absolutely delicious.

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

I think a lot of the bad rep brown bear meat gets has to come from folks who have tried to eat fish-eaters. I've had the backstrap from a brown bear sow a friend shot in interior AK, far from the salmon runs. She was a spring bear, and had been eating berries, greens etc. It was some of the best meat I've ever eaten. No gamey flavor, extremely tender - perfect.

The key is how you handle the meat. Keep it clean and cool. If you can hardly handle the stench while skinning the bear, that's a good sign the meat isn't going to be very good. My friend who gave me the backstrap from his brownie said there was no smell at all while he was skinning her.

I shot a black bear a few years ago that hadn't been in the fish, and it was also excellent. Believe it or not though, I actually think the brown bear my friend gave me was even better. I'd take either one over beef any day.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

[QUOTE=0321Tony;1368557]Black bear is excellent if they aren't eating fish. Get them on the berries and it is absolutely delicious.

Agreed, blackies are great eating. Spring blackies are as good as fall bears.

I'll pass on 'em if they have been eating the salmon though. They stink like fish.
    BK

I do love Black bear, but I have not had brown yet. A friend of mine has probable shot and eaten 20 brownies in his days and he says there great. Again, so long as they have not been eating salmon. Like AKsoldier said, If the meat smells bad while your skinning it, it probably won’t taste all that great ether. Bear is great in stews and I love making them into Russian dumplings. Num Num Num.

I've yet to come across the infamous "fishy bear meat".....eaten quite a bit of coastal black bear, though, and always find it delicious ('specially in stews, beans, sloppy joes, etc..). You can't tell me none of those bears ever had fish in their diet. On a side note, I've tried seal, and it's super tasty....so why shouldn't a fish-eating bear be, as well? Maybe it's just some kind of psychological taboo against eating carnivores?
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Cdub,
    I think you misunderstood.......
    If they are "actively" feeding on slamon streams, not that they might have at one time in past, fed on a fish.
    You are what you eat comes to mind here. Bears on blueberries are great, bears eating spring grass on the beach from PWS are great, bears that are actively feeding on pinks for the last month, not so great.
    To each is own though, if you like that fishy tatse, eat 'em.
    BK

Many years ago and some number of miles downstream of here, an entrepreneurial young man had a notion that raising himself a bunch of pigs and selling pork to the nearby village might surely be an enterprise such as would reap a quick and profitable reward....

Being a frugal sort of chap, and lacking depth of finance, upon the opportunity to obtain, virtually free of charge, a large volume of excess salmon upon which he might fatten off his porcine retirement plan, he celebrated his great fortune, for surely he would soon be counting his coin while sipping a fruity beverage upon a sandy beach in Belize....

Associates of the young entrepreneur, having the dubious privilege of experiencing the final product, coined the term "Spork", and it was said that a chop frying in a skillet, though beautiful in appearance, would generate an unmistakable and all pervasive odor such as would drive from the cabin all but those possessive of a cast iron stomach, and/or completely lacking of olfactory senses.

True story.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist