Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Eagle River-Need rifle recommendation

Default Moving to Eagle River-Need rifle recommendation

I am moving to Eagle River in July with the Air Force and wanted to see what a good recommended rifle caliber for general use would be. I have a 270, but am a little concerned about using it on moose and bear. I am leaning towards a 338 win mag, or 340 RUM, but wanted to get a few opinions before buying a new rifle. Am I leaning too big, or too small? Just looking for a few honest opinions as I want to be ready to hunt when I get there. Thanks!

Shoot every caliber you are considering before you decide. That will not be that hard to do actually. Just move up here, you will meet plenty of folks who hunt/shoot. they will let you try'em. I know cause I was in your same shoe's almost 6 years ago. Make sure what ever you get is well fitted to you(helps alot when you go above 308 cal.) and then have fun with it.

Jake

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Why not just use the heavier boolits in your 270?

A 338 is good, but it has a LOT more recoil than a 270.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You don't really need anything like a 340RUM. I have a 270wsm model 70 coyote and a 338 wm model 70 with a limbsaver recoil pad. The 270 will do the trick on anything up here with a well placed shot but usually the comfort of having a bigger gun seems to be the issue with most people I talk to. My 338 doesn't really kick that bad and I still have yet to shoot it with the new recoil pad. I had a Savage 300RUM that was not very fun to shoot so I sold it and shot the 338 and really liked it. Just my opinion.

I used to have every caliber from .270 to .375... however I have settled down on the .338 win mag. It's got enough punch to knock down bear, you can grain it down for smaller deer and it's flat enough of a shooter for tundra caribou. Also, I don't have to 're-learn" on each rifle prior to a hunt... I only have to keep current on one gun and adjust for bullet sizes...

people have been killing things in alaska for 100 years with the good ole' 30/06. i know most of the guys in here have a personal armory, but being a fellow af guy getting paid by uncle sam, and wanting the most bang for my buck, i'm sticking with the 06 for now. only other rifle ive considered is a 300. i'm speaking only from a multi-purpose perspective. if you never plan to go for the bou, black tails, or back down south, then get the canon.
    on a side note, not coming up from florida are ya? got a flat bottom boat down there i'm looking to get up here...

Default Three of us carry 7mm Rem Mags

Myself and two buddies all have 7mm Remington Magnums, they both had theirs in the lower 48, and I was impressed enough to buy one up here. I would use your 270, and if you decide that it isn't enough buy something once your up here. I know many people who hunt in Alaska with 270. Personally if I was going to get another gun it would be something to really set itself apart from what I already have, and the 338 would fit that bill nicely. Flat shooting and hard hitting, but might beat you up a little. If you can practice with it enough to be proficient, it will make you feel really good knocking down brown bears with it.

What schmidty_dog said!

I am coming up from Spokane, WA and will most likely go ahead with the 338 win mag due to ammo availability and the size to knock down pretty much anything. Now it is time to find the rifle.

Most bushkins hunt with .270s and .30-06s. Magnums become more common the closer you get to the gravitational pull of Los Anchorage.
    Now what ?

If you really want to go with the .338, wait until you get up here and buy one from one of the guys leaving. There are usually some for sale, I see advertisements on the "For Sale" board over at the AAFES Shopette most of the time.
    I got here ten years ago and then retired. I've used a 7mm Rem Mag on everything except a grizzly/brown bear. There's nothing wrong with your .270 with heavy, premium bullets. Yes, waht Schmidty Dog said.

I bought a 300 WSM last year and love it. I can hunt anything in Alaska with it, and it dosent have the recoil of the 300 or 338 making me more accurate. Like others have said, wait until you get here and buy something off someone leaving, there is always someone selling something. The best gun is one you can get a good deal on

Default Narrowed it down

Narrowed it down to a.270 Weatherby and a .300mag, if it won't go down with one of those two I shouldn't of pulled the trigger.
    A bad hit with a .50 is worse than a perfect hit with a .223!

you kinda need to think about what you are gonna be doing, a bunch of alaska is brush so thick a dog has to back up to bark, and a bunch is nothing more then a really wet desert. a 35 whelen might be prime for the eagle river area, but leaving you wanting more range up north.

Default Best Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    The best gun is one you can get a good deal on
    Well said Ronster!

Default Aafes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    If you really want to go with the .338, wait until you get up here and buy one from one of the guys leaving. There are usually some for sale, I see advertisements on the "For Sale" board over at the AAFES Shopette most of the time.
    Also the BX/PX sells firearms and has a six month layaway for them too.
    That how I got my weatherby .300 win mag and my H & K USP

If you want an "all around" Alaska rifle go with the 338 win mag...

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    I am coming up from Spokane, WA and will most likely go ahead with the 338 win mag due to ammo availability and the size to knock down pretty much anything. Now it is time to find the rifle.
    I've got a Like New (really it is "like new") Ruger 338 win mag that i am selling. If your interested PM me your e-mail me your e-mail and i can send pics. Am looking for $500 for it.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Hmmm... we can make all the recommendations we want to this guy but he's going to buy what he wants anyway, it's not like he can go down to sportmans and just try them all out, and unless he has really really good friends that have every caliber rifle to have him shoot, he's going to get what he likes to look at and feel despite what anyone says...so just go with the stainless 300 Win Mag in any synthetic stock...K

Default 338

I agree with svehunter. The 30.06 is what I used for years and loved it until I started hunting in more open country with a little longer shots.It is nice to have the power when you need it. Remember price is not the most important here if a 338 bits you and you can't shoot well go with what you shoot best.
    I have a stainless,synthetic Browning A-bolt with the Boss system and my wife has the medallion with Boss both in 338. There are alot of options on size, but I would recommend stainless and synthetic in what ever you get.Good luck and welcome to AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast