Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Alaskan Grizzly Bear Rifle..Tell me what you think

Default My New Alaskan Grizzly Bear Rifle..Tell me what you think

So i needed something with alot knock down power just in case the next time i go on another hiking trip in the back woods i wont be under gunned ..Tell me if you like it..Its a .50 Beowulf NFA Registered Short Barrel Rifle

jvez.jpg8cxq.jpg

Pretty cool. I don't know much about this cartridge. It’s great for hogs and it well probable work on an average black bear, but I couldn’t tell you how well it will work on a large brown bear. Double tap that rib cage and see what happens. LoL

Quote Originally Posted by jeanclaudesegal View Post
    So i needed something with alot knock down power just in case the next time i go on another hiking trip in the back woods i wont be under gunned ..Tell me if you like it..Its a .50 Beowulf NFA Registered Short Barrel Rifle

jvez.jpg8cxq.jpg
    What an awesome gun for heading into alders! Do you plan to find some hardcast lead for "real woods" use? I don't know that I would trust those FMJs? What kind of velocity loss are you getting with that short barrel?

Definetly high on the "cool" chart in my book!

Very cool! Im not real familiar with that round though. What are the specs?

Neat gun. If I recal the "knock down" numbers weren't as impressive as a lot of other readily available rounds. Sure would be fun for deer hunting!!!!
    But the cool factor is off the chart!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Nice. Be sure to post accuracy, penetration and reliability stats once you've shot it a few times. I've got a 450 Bushmaster upper on my wish that I'd love to get.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Make sure you turn the red dot scope on before you shoot the charging griz.

Nice gun.

Thanx everyone for the comments..The 50 Beowulf was developed by Alexander Arms for the US military to stop charging vehicles by blowing out there engine blocks at close range..After making his weapon readily available for civilian purchase it was used on many large and dangerous game throughout the US including Alaska..The 50 Beowulf was given to Alaskan Gov Sarah Palin as present from the NRA a few yrs back..check the link here http://us4palin.com/a-tribute-to-the...ican-rifleman/ ..Over the years the 50 Beowulf has become quite handy among most riflemen in montana and other heavily wooded states that consist of mountain lion and Bears.It has been known to kill most large creatures within a short range of 150yards or less anything further than that, the round starts to loose its velocity and will drop very quickly..I have chronographed my 10.5" SBR with the following rounds below.. The 350GR Solid Brass Spitzer round was tested at 1650fps with 2710lbs of energy a little better than your Smith&Wesson 500 Magnum........And the 400GR Hawk Round was tested at 1744fps at 2805lbs of energy..The accuracy out of the gun is very impressive within 150 yards anywhere between 1/4" - 1" groups..The 50 beowulf was compared similar to the 450 marlin using heavy loads..here are some more pics below..
    fd8s.jpg6lzr.jpg

here is a video on Discovery Channel of the 50 Beowulf

Thanx everyone for the comments..The 50 Beowulf was developed by Alexander Arms for the US military to stop charging vehicles by blowing out there engine blocks at close range..After making his weapon readily available for civilian purchase it was used on many large and dangerous game throughout the US including Alaska..The 50 Beowulf was given to Alaskan Gov Sarah Palin as present from the NRA a few yrs back..check the link here http://us4palin.com/a-tribute-to-the...ican-rifleman/ ..Over the years the 50 Beowulf has become quite handy among most riflemen in montana and other heavily wooded states that consist of mountain lion and Bears.It has been known to kill most large creatures within a short range of 150yards or less anything further than that, the round starts to loose its velocity and will drop very quickly..I have chronographed my 10.5" SBR with the following rounds below.. The 350GR Solid Brass Spitzer round was tested at 1650fps with 2710lbs of energy a little better than your Smith&Wesson 500 Magnum........And the 400GR Hawk Round was tested at 1744fps at 2805lbs of energy..The accuracy out of the gun is very impressive within 150 yards anywhere between 1/4" - 1" groups..The 50 beowulf was compared similar to the 450 marlin using heavy loads..here are some more pics below..
    fd8s.jpg6lzr.jpg
    A solid brass flat point would sure make a great bear bullet, I bet that spritzer would do just fine too!

here is a video on Discovery Channel of the 50 Beowulf
    Cool video, thanks for sharing!

Thats an awesome SBR!!
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

I think I need to add this to my wishlist...... Sound like this round is putting out about as much energy as the 45-90 and the 450 Marlin. I think it'll be a good brush gun for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    I think I need to add this to my wishlist...... Sound like this round is putting out about as much energy as the 45-90 and the 450 Marlin. I think it'll be a good brush gun for ya.
    Actually you are correct..after doing alot of research before my initial purchase..the 50 beowulf ballistics are very comparable to a 450 marlin using heavy cast loads..If you decide to do an SBR ,,here is a video that i made using a pelican case that may come in pretty handy.. my upper since then has been a little modified to where i now have cut it down to 10.5" and the Barrel shroud has not changed to the snubby one with halo vents

I just got my .458 SOCOM put together for spring bear baiting. Of all the big bore uppers I chose .458 for bullet choices and compatibility with my 45/70 when reloading. I would be very interested in the accuracy.

"I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    I just got my .458 SOCOM put together for spring bear baiting. 10 rounds single stack in a standard magazine.

Very nice show stopper..i see you are using brass spitzer rounds too..good choice

I absolutely Love shooting my 450 Bushmaster.

What a Monster stopper.

Have fun with your new Rifle.

RJ Simington
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Cool beans - better than a shotgun with slugs.

I guess we have a generational gap!

Only "AR" I would own, very cool round

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast