Thread: Unit 16 general season caribou hunt

Default Unit 16 general season caribou hunt

Hi has anyone tried the unit 16 general season caribou hunt from aug 10- sep 20. I was looking for general season hunts that are near anchorage with road access and unit 16 appears to have portions that are road accessible. I am wondering if anyone has tried hunting this area for general season caribou hunts. Thank you.

The caribou in unit 16 are far from the road. For road accessible bou, you're looking at unit 13 (either drawing or tier 1 tag), the 40 mile registration hunt, or the haul road (bow only within five miles of the road). There are a couple other drawing permit options that require serious hikes.

Not long after I first got here, a friend took me up toward the mines. There were caribou tracks on the road up there. May have been the odd ball herd as I have not seen or heard anyone mention it since. That was about 25 years ago.

Building on DAllen, old college friends folks had a mine up near Cache creek past Petersville. Mining since early 1970's. They saw caribou wander out of the park about every five years and down into the valley. Mostly in the summer, but once in a while later when they were shutting down for the winter.

So if you are willing to sit up there for a month and wait them out, you may get lucky.

Thanks for the responses guys. From all the replies I realize the probability of spotting caribou in this area by driving and glassing is extremely low. I might just drive the route to see if there are any good glassing spots and try my luck a few times during the season. I may just hit the lottery, and it's so close to anchorage anyways. If I don't spot a bou I should still get some awesome views....

Just head out Petersville to Cache Creek. Lots of area to glass and you just might spot a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. From all the replies I realize the probability of spotting caribou in this area by driving and glassing is extremely low. I might just drive the route to see if there are any good glassing spots and try my luck a few times during the season. I may just hit the lottery, and it's so close to anchorage anyways. If I don't spot a bou I should still get some awesome views....
    No one to say you can't try it! I've seen caribou in areas I never thought they'd be. I found a herd of about 50 or so on the top ridge above Kashwitna river once while moose hunting. Could not believe it. Have never seen bou there before or since.... Musta been lost!

Release Lake Trout

can you actually drive on cache creek trail and colinsville trail from petersville rd in summer? in a 4 wheel drive suv?